Image may contain: Intersection, Pedestrian, Flagstone, Architecture, Metropolis, Tarmac, Asphalt, Transportation, Vehicle, Car, Automobile, Path, Street, Road, Downtown, Building, City, Town, Urban, Person, Human

Warwick student charged after firing blank shots in Coventry

Xinge Zhang fired the blank shots ‘numerous times’ from his student halls

A Warwick student has been charged with causing panic after allegedly firing blank shots from a pistol.

Xinge Zhang, 22, is said to have fired the imitation firearm from the window of his student halls in Coventry.

He reportedly fired the shots "numerous times" from Mercia Lodge on Tuesday, according to West Midlands Police.

Armed police were called to the scene in Broadgate, and several shops and restaurants in the surrounding area were evacuated.

The Warwick student, from Jiangxi in China, was arrested despite there being no reported injuries.

Mr Zhang, who studies Film and TV at Warwick, was charged with possessing an imitation firearm with the intent to cause fear of unlawful violence.

He appeared before Coventry Magistrates' Court, and was granted conditional bail before facing Warwick Crown Court on 10 January.