Image may contain: Shop, Town, City, Downtown, Urban, People, Architecture, Building, Person, Human

Warwick professor accused of spreading antisemitic ideas in lectures

She described claims of antisemitism in the Labour Party as an “Israeli lobby kind of idea”

An associate professor at the University of Warwick has been accused of spreading "antisemitic conspiracies"

In a lecture entitled "Viral and Transnational (Palestine)", Dr Goldie Osuri described claims of anti-semitism in the Labour party as "very much an Israeli lobby kind of idea".

Notes accompanying the slides, obtained by The Jewish News, said: “Palestinians are entirely entitled to resist and oppose the occupation and theft of their homeland by any means they deem necessary.”

Image may contain: Tablet Computer, LCD Screen, Monitor, Display, Screen, Electronics, Computer

The slide notes also cited “poems/songs/art/organised activism or militancy” as examples of resistance.

A Jewish student, who wishes to remain anonymous, told The Jewish News: "I was kind of shaking with rage in the lecture because you can’t really say anything.

"I’m not going to stand up in the middle of the lecture where everyone is silent and it’s just the lecturer speaking and say ‘I disagree with you’"

Image may contain: Crowd, Television, TV, LCD Screen, Projection Screen, Monitor, Display, Electronics, Screen

Dr Osuri told the The Warwick Tab: "My statement in the lecture regarding the claims of rampant anti-semitism in the Labour party as an 'Israeli lobby kind of idea' is a reference to Israeli attempts to infiltrate British politics documented by Al Jazeera.

"This 'Israeli lobby kind of idea' is a reference to the attempt to smear any debate or discussion regarding Palestinian self-determination and human rights or criticism of the state of Israel as 'anti-semitism'"

She added that antisemitism against Jewish peoples is "absolutely wrong in any form" and that she had "explicitly explained the distinction between anti-semitism and anti-Zionism in the lecture."

The University told the Warwick Tab: "The University has clear policies which state that we are “committed to ensuring a working and learning environment in which all University members (staff and students) are treated fairly and with dignity and respect”, with all members of our community free to raise a formal complaint in relation to that commitment.

"We have received one such compliant in relation to this matter and that will now be reviewed in line with our Student Complaints Resolution Procedure and we cannot say anything further until those procedures are concluded."

Image may contain: Page, Document, Flyer, Brochure, Paper, Advertisement, Poster, Text

In a joint Facebook statement, Jewish Israeli Society and the Union of Jewish Students said: "There can be no excuse from an academic at such a prestigious university to spread conspiracy theories associated with classic anti-semitism.

"To smear complaints of antisemitism as being fabricated by the 'Israeli lobby' belittles and diminishes the fears, experiences and concerns of the Jewish community and spreads the antisemitic conspiracy that Jews control the media.

"We are also appalled to hear Dr Osuri share support for acts of violence against civilians perpetrated by terrorist organisations. No university should allow this rhetoric to be propogated by its employees, let alone taught to students in an academic setting.

"Every university, including Warwick, should be a welcoming place for Jewish students. They should not have to face anti-semitism from their own lecturers."

Updates to follow – If you have any tips about this story, contact us on our instagram