Image may contain: Revolving Door, Sidewalk, Pavement, Pedestrian, Door, Path, Shoe, Clothing, Footwear, Apparel, Human, Person

Warwick Reclaims The Night once again

Another effort to make Warwick safe for all students.

Warwick Anti-Sexism Society, Warwick Anti-Racism Society, Warwick Enable, Warwick Sexpression, Warwick Pride, Warwick STAR, Warwick Labour and Warwick For Free Education co-hosted another "Reclaim the Night" march on Monday evening.

They initiated the process of creating a Student Charter Mark with the aim of putting pressure on the university to do more about confronting sexual violence, harassment and any form of discrimination at Warwick.

Image may contain: Architecture, Downtown, People, Shorts, Crowd, City, Town, Shelter, Outdoors, Nature, Countryside, Rural, Building, Urban, Path, Footwear, Apparel, Clothing, Shoe, Pedestrian, Person, Human

A list of demands for the SU was also drawn up. Such demands ranged from a "10-year commitment to employing an Independent Sexual Violence Advisor (ISVA)" to the reduction of waiting times for support services on campus.

President of Warwick Pride Jess Hughes had the following to say about the event:

"I think a strong message that came out of the evening was the importance of not only Reclaiming the Night with a demonstration, but also reclaiming the spaces we occupy within the university from sexual violence.

"In part this means continuing to fight for the demands we have set out regarding tackling sexual violence, especially since many of these demands have been made before and it is important that we continue to call on the institutions involved so change continues to happen."

In a study conducted last year by Revolt Sexual Assault and Student Room, only 6 percent of sexual assault victims reported it to their university, and only 2 percent felt both able to report it and were satisfied with the reporting process upon doing so.

The number of racist incidents in British universities has also increased by more than 60 percent in the last two years, according to a recent survey by the Independent.

"Progress has been made at Warwick regarding sexual violence in recent years but there is still a long way to go. " – Jess Hughes, President of Warwick Pride.