Image may contain: Photography, Photo, Portrait, Girl, People, Smile, Party, Female, Clothing, Apparel, Face, Person, Human

We asked for your first year regrets, so you don’t make the same mistakes

Because let’s be honest, first year is a car crash

Your First year of university is quite the adventure. You've finally got all the freedom to do whatever you want, whenever you want. But this inescapably leads to a fair few questionable regrets and mistakes.

Don't pull people in your seminars

Image may contain: Neon, Human, Person, Light

Listen closely, because this one was undoubtedly the most common regret; don't pull people in your seminars.

"My biggest regret is getting with someone who was in a seminar of mine and, of course, also is this year – and has turned out to have a girlfriend"

"It no longer seems like a good idea when you're left doing a presentation in front of them less than 48 hours later with a massive hickey"

After a few drinks, and then a few more, it sometimes becomes a little tricky to determine whether it's worth pulling that particular fitty you've been eyeing up in your seminar – but, trust me, you're going to be kicking yourself when you then have to sit in that same seminar for the remainder of the year avoiding uncomfortable eye contact for what feels like eternity.

The same goes for flatmates (for the most part)

"I regret sleeping with two flatmates"

"Whatever you do, don't enter a relationship with someone in your flat"

You could end up in a long-term relationship, or you could end up pulling on your first night and then spending the remainder of first term making awkward small talk in the kitchen whilst you're waiting for your microwave meal to be ready (that'll feel like a long 3 minutes, that's for sure) . Although it could go either way…

"I got a text from a flatmate when we were both drunk after a night out. She said she needed some hugs, turned out she meant that she needed nugs. I came in and spooned her and now we're going out a month later"

You will never be proud of those messy nights out

"I regret throwing up bolognese on the top floor of the UniExpress after drinking a bottle of rum"

"I regret giving a boy a handjob in Neon and now I see him everywhere"

One of my flatmates personal regrets was undoubtedly his attempt to plug in his phone 'in the aux' in the Kasbah DJ booth, followed by him being kicked out whilst simultaneously accusing the bouncers of plotting to kill us. Know your limits.

Campus security really will fine you

"I regret peeing in a hedge outside of rootes and being slapped with an £80 fine on my first day of freshers"

"I regret throwing up in university house and being threatened with a £300 fine, luckily they never followed through with it"

"I regret spending £190 on alcohol for my birthday, then getting a £150 fine from my warden"

Once you're in your overdraft, you're sure as hell never getting out of it

Image may contain: License, Driving License, Alphabet, Id Cards, Document, Text

Getting your overdraft is exciting, for sure. But, you have not just won the lottery, so proceed with caution. Its all fun and games until you're £3 away from maxing it out and still have 2 weeks until your loan drops.

"I regret sorting my overdraft out too early in the summer meaning I came to uni having used most of it and had maxed out 1000 by the end of freshers week"

"I regret spending over £250 at the Coventry Primark on room decorations to then be in my overdraft for the rest of my uni life"

Worth it though, right?

Many people manage to max out their overdrafts before they even set foot on campus on their first day, others realise in term 2 that its gotten to the point where they're going to have to choose between Kasbah and their weekly Aldi food shop. Either way, you'll honestly thank yourself if you spend with just a little caution throughout the year – there's nothing worse than starting each term with a bank balance of -£1000.

To break up or to not break up

For some, going to university in a relationship is perfectly viable. Relationships can be fantastic, but the last thing you want is one that's going to hinder you from experiencing university to the full. If there was ever a time to break free from the stressful burden of a relationship that's clearly going nowhere, its now.

"My biggest regret of first year was holding myself back and having a less enjoyable time because I had a boyfriend (who wasn't right for me)."

You really do not want to be missing out. Thank u, next.

Image may contain: Night Club, Finger, Club, Face, Human, Person

For most, first year doesn't count, so don't take it TOO seriously.

"Honestly my biggest regret was working so hard"

It's essential to get the work/life balance right – first year is just as much, if not more, about embracing adulthood and your new found best friends as it is about studying. And doing the reading for absolutely everything is not necessarily a must when you're only going to need to revise 4 out of 20 topics for the end of the year exam. Take it easy.

Some mistakes you just have to make to fulfil the true university experience, and others you might actually want to avoid.

All in all, you're going to make your mistakes, and chances are, you probably won't learn from them in time for second year.