How to cope with stress this exam season

A guide to staying calm when things seem too much

University life can be tough as it is, and when you have the added pressure of deadlines, revision, all nighters and exams, things can become a whole lot worse.

Struggling with your mental health can make the exam period even more overwhelming. You may find yourself thinking, “if I find simple things difficult, how on earth am I going to cope under pressure?

Well, I’m here to say that you can cope. Mental illness doesn’t have to ruin your chances. You can still kill it with those essays, reach those deadlines, and smash those exams.

Here are some tips that I have found useful when it comes to managing and diffusing exam stress (even if you don’t have mental health issues!)

Write up a timetable

Yeah, yeah, I know. You’ve heard this one since you were small and carefree (ah, memories) but it seriously works. It’ll keep you from leaving things until the last minute and help to remove some of that terrifying, bubbling anxiety you might be feeling.

Grab a big piece of paper or card and establish a routine. Use bright colours, stickers and rewards if that helps you. Being able to stick a smiley face sticker down once you’ve done a hard session can be super satisfying (don’t judge me.)

Take regular breaks

Again, you’ve heard this one before, but that’s for a reason. Revising for eight hours straight might seem like a good idea, but you begin to lose all sense of what you’re doing; including reality, time and the concept of fun.

Put down your books every forty-five minutes to an hour and chill out for a little bit. Go for a walk, chat with a friend, or just watch cat videos on YouTube. Thank me later.

Self care, self care, self care

Repeat after me: stress is not a reason to neglect myself. Take some time to have a nice shower, a relaxing bath, and make sure you’re not avoiding the mirror for fear of seeing just how tired and stressed out.

Moisturiser, spot cream and a decent face mask now and then can do wonders for your mental health and confidence. Boys, I’m talking to you, too. Self love and taking care of yourself will do you wonders.

Socialise

Not too much, but not too little. Seeing friends and loved ones is a must if you want to stay sane during stressful times. Surround yourself with the people that you love. Locking yourself up in your room or the library for weeks at a time may get you a few extra marks, but the effect it’ll have on you is totally not worth it.

Eat well

Are you eating right? And no, ramen and chocolate doesn’t count as a proper meal. Eating a balanced meal is incredibly important during exam time. Vegetables, protein and plenty of complex carbs are essential.

Remember what your parents told you. Maybe get together with some friends and organise a cooking rota. Seriously, uni doesn’t mean you can’t have “family” style meals. Also, snacks are a must when revising. Fruit, nuts and the odd treat, may as a reward, can help to keep you focussed and keep the hangry moments at bay.

Reach out

Mental health and stress can leave you feeling like a failure, and this can make telling people seem like the worst idea ever. However, you’re not a failure. Everyone struggles sometimes. So, tell a friend, tell your family, or even tell your tutors that you’re having a hard time. More often than not, they’ll be understanding. You can also get in contact with mental health services if things really are becoming too much. Seriously, the help is out there and you deserve to be safe and well.

Be Realistic

Lastly, remember that university grades aren’t everything. They are not a measure of your ability or worth. You are brilliant, unique and your mental health always comes first. University isn’t just going to vanish if you need some time out. It’s not the end of the world.

Image may contain: Person, People, Human

(There are lots of other useful tips that you can find online, and charities like MIND are excellent when it comes to getting that extra bit of info and help, but these are the tips that have helped me the most.)

Get breaking Warwick news straight to your WhatsApp by clicking here.