Warwick is introducing joint degrees in Paris and Brussels

The programmes will be available from 2019

Hide Images

Warwick University is planning a series of collaborations with the University of Paris-Seine and Vrije Universiteit in Brussels in an attempt to overcome the effects of Brexit.

The three universities will share staff and research efforts and will also be offering joint degrees for postgraduates and PhD students. On top of that, multiple fellowships, academic conferences and student exchanges will be offered.

The programme will be available from the 2019 academic year, offering a joint MA in mathematics with Paris-Seine, and an MA linking Warwick’s politics and international studies programme with Vrije Universiteit Brussel’s institute of European studies.

Warwick's vice-chancellor Stuart Croft, told The Guardian that the plans were "despite Brexit, not because of Brexit. He added, "Politicians in and out of office in every country in Europe are still deliberating how the UK can still be part of that in future, but we can’t afford simply to wait for that to be fully resolved."

The agreement between the universities is said to be sealed at The Shard later on in the year.

Lucie Giaccardi, a second-year Irish and French student in PAIS and French said, "In times of such political uncertainty, this idea can only bring many benefits: it is a sort of impersonal long term trade stategy to ensure that national barriers are not so strong between students – and who wouldn't want to do part of their course in such beautiful countries anyway?"