Image may contain: Office Building, Building

Warwick History exams to be re-written as topics are dropped from the syllabus

The decision has been made due to the upcoming strikes

History exams at Warwick are set to be re-written due to the upcoming strikes.

An email obtained by The Tab details the decision by the Warwick History Department to not examine students on material due to be covered in lectures and seminars that will now be missed because of the strike.

The email, circulated to seminar tutors and final year students, reads: "I want to assure you that you will not be examined on material missed due to the strike, either by a lost lecture and/or seminar."

Image may contain: Text, Letter

Four out of twenty topics will now be dropped from the final examinations, meaning exam papers will have to be re-written after they were submitted and vetted after Christmas.

While this is a decision that has been taken on a departmental level, The Tab have also been told the History Department are waiting on an official line from the University, with regards to considerations of the strike action.

However, this has not yet been circulated and it is not known whether any other departments are set to make their own decision on exam alterations.

The History Department have not confirmed whether these changes will be applied to all final year modules, or just Historiography, the core module graded by an examination that counts for 100 per cent of the module mark.

These considerations have been taken after numerous students raised concerns over how the strike will affect their degree.

Kerris Mackley, a final year History student, told The Tab: "In terms of exams it's a massive weight off my mind but it misses other key aspects. With no words on long essays, dissertations and rushed teaching by module tutors in an attempt to make up for the time lost there is still a lot to be answered for."

Warwick is one of 61 UK universities that have agreed to strike action due to an ongoing dispute over staff pensions. The strike will last for four weeks beginning 22nd February.

Warwick's Vice Chancellor Stuart Croft has spoken out on the proposed pension changes, criticising a “conservative approach”. He called for "alternative, more innovative solutions”, highlighting the hugely damaging impact that ending the defined benefit scheme would have on both universities and their staff.