People were stranded outside the SU last night due to POP! extending for an extra 30 minutes

Some didn’t get home till past 4am

Reportedly around 250 students were left stranded after the final POP! last night, due to the event being an extended by an extra 30 minutes meaning the last bus had departed by the time the event was over.

The last bus from campus departed at 2am, and the lack of taxis available meant many were stuck outside the venue unable to get home quickly.

Due to it being the final POP! of the academic year, the sold-out party was extended a further 30 minutes finishing at 2:30am instead of the usual 2am. Disco Dave announced the time change, stating that it was a “special one off”.

After being stranded outside of POP!, people were eventually able to secure taxi rides home, however due to the popularity of the event, this reportedly took some until after 4am.

Third year Charlotte Midgley Ross, who studies Law and Sociology, told The Tab: “It was awful, there just weren’t enough taxi’s. We all had to pay loads to get taxis back to Leam.”

“The chaos ensued because the buses always run until the end of POP!, but due to the time extension, the buses were no longer running.

“If I had known about the lack of buses and taxis, I would have left at the usual time. It was the SU’s mistake.”

Disco Dave has since apologised for students missing their buses. Writing in a tweet, he said: “Apologies to everyone who missed their bus tonight because of the extra 30 mins of POP! It wasn’t my call but I did enjoy the extra set.”

President of the Students’ Union, Luke Pilot, commented: “The decision was taken at 1:30am last night to extend POP! for an additional half an hour for those who wanted to stay and celebrate a bit longer at the final event of term.

“We regret to hear some students struggled to depart campus in a timely manner, however, given that that this was a last-minute decision, the final bus times remained unchanged, and so it was entirely at the individual’s discretion as to whether or not they left with enough time to catch the buses which departed campus at 2:11am or 2:30am.”