Princess Anne has officially opened the Oculus building

Her Royal Highness was met by Warwick staff and students

The University of Warwick’s new building, the Oculus, was officially opened by Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal on Thursday 30th March.

Princess Ann marked the development of the Oculus building for a second time, having first unveiled the foundation stone of the building in October 2015 during the university’s 50th anniversary celebrations.

On Thursday, Her Royal Highness unveiled a commemorative plaque in the ground floor foyer to mark the buildings official opening. Despite the teaching building having been open for use for several months.

Image © Warwick University

The Princess Royal was received by a number of key figures from the Warwickshire area. Lord-Lieutenant of West Midlands, Mr John Crabtree, the Lord Mayor of Coventry Councillor Lindsley Harvard were but a few to present to Her Royal Highness.

Representatives from the University of Warwick were also there to greet the Princess Royal. This included the Vice-Chancellor Stuart Croft and Chairman of Warwick Manufacturing Group (WMG) Lord Kumar Bhattacharyya.

Stuart Croft stated: “the Oculus has been designed to bring together the strengths of the University’s departments to widen the worlds of students through innovative teaching resources and social learning spaces.”

Some students and members of staff also had the opportunity to meet with Her Royal Highness. Rachel Dickinson, Principle Teaching Fellow at Warwick Business School and Professor Gwen Van der Velden, academic director of Warwick International Higher Education Academy.

Image © Warwick University

Maths student Angus Hamill commented that, “I’ve had some lectures in the Oculus building this year and think that it’s such a nice building. Although, it’s pretty ironic that the University has invited someone from the royal family just weeks after the Students Union submitted a motion to disband the royal family.” He said that it demonstrates just how out of touch the SU is with the University.

Her Royal Highness is no stranger to Warwickshire, often visiting the university and its surrounding towns for official openings and to attend conferences. The Princess Royal opened Leamington Hospital’s Central England Rehabilitation Unit in January 2015.