SU warns of telephone scam targeting international students

Callers claiming to be from the Home Office have requested payment and personal details

The University of Warwick has issued a warning for international students as there have been telephone calls circulating campus from people claiming to be from the Home Office.

Tier 4 students have been contacted due to supposed problems with their visas and have been asked for personal details and the payment of fines via Western Union and Moneygram.

Callers claim that if students do not pay fines of between £1200 and £1520 they may be reported to the police and detained or deported.

They have also demanded further cash or the purchase of iTunes gift cards.

The University has clarified that the Home Office will never contact students to ask for payment/details in this manner, and as such, students should not make payments or give information to callers.

Niharika Singh, a first year Film Studies student from India, has said that “it’s annoying that students can be tricked into such a scam by people exploiting their concern about visas and permits.”

But she has said that the support available means “students that have gone through this recently can at least not feel helpless or tricked and can file complaints.”

If you have been contacted, you can report it online to Action Fraud. If you have already made a payment, you can contact the Office for Global Engagement at  +44 (0) 24 7652 3706 or [email protected].