Doggy destress day returns to Warwick

Nothing beats a cuddle with a puppy

Hide Images

Feeling the stress of term two already and it’s only week four? Then don’t forget to head on down to the Library on the 9th February to have some chill time with some dogs! What better way to destress?

The charity Pets As Therapy (PAT) are providing the use of their dogs for Warwick students, to provide a therapeutic visit, with the aim of bringing joy and comfort to stressed-out students.

Pets As Therapy are a national charity, founded in 1983. They provide visits to a number of different venues, including hospitals, hospices, care homes and special needs schools.

The people who bring along the dogs are all volunteers, sharing the value of their pets with other people. The therapy has been widely successful, with the charity receiving hugely positive feedback of their service.

Research has shown that interaction with animals, notably dogs, helps to reduce stress and anxiety, whist simultaneously boosting endorphins. This is why many universities across the countries are now offering “doggy de-stress days” during term time, to help students take time out during stressful study periods.

English Literature and French student, Jade Windle, commented on the scheme: “I love that dogs are being brought in to uni to help relieve anxiety. I have a dog at home and spending time with him definitely helps me to feel less stressed.”

So if you’re need of a endorphin boost, keep your eye on the Facebook event ‘Study Happy Therapy Dogs’ or contact [email protected] for more information. Tickets will be released from the 2nd February with students being allowed a 15 minute bookable slot to ensure that those in need of a cuddle are able to receive one.