Warwick alumnus is sleeping rough this Christmas to help the homeless

He has been ignored and spat on

To raise awareness for the homeless, ex-University of Warwick medical student and RAG president James Beavis, has been sleeping rough on the streets of London.

He will be on the streets from 9 December until 9 January to raise for the homelessness charity Crisis.

You can follow James’ journey on the Facebook page he set up specifically for this campaign, where he has kept a video diary during the highs and lows of his experience.

He said he will take “nothing but a bag of clothes and a sleeping bag” and “will have no contact with family or loved ones during this time.”

He will be begging for money and food, while sleeping on the street and try to recreate as realistic an experience as possible.

In the 12 days that he has been doing this for, he has already raised over £12,000. We interviewed him on his experience thus far.

What motivated you to raise money for the homeless in this way?

“I think people need to gauge an understanding of what it is like to be homeless. I would have liked to film genuine and sincere homeless people, however as many people go on to a life again, I felt like it was inappropriate.

Homelessness can affect anyone, so I hope that we can offer some perspective. I also hoped that as it’s something that I’m finding really challenging, people will find the compassion to donate.”

His fundraising has attracted the likes of Nick Hewer

How has the experience been so far?

“It’s been tough, I’ve been spat on. The worst bit though, is the way that the public treat you. You are completely ignored, if you’re not just getting dirty looks.”

What has been the toughest part of sleeping rough?

“The hardest thing is other people’s attitude. You are surrounded by people but feel so isolated. The temperature has been two degrees, but is dropping to minus one. So, I’m wrapping myself up in tin foil to warm up.

Also, as you are sleeping on the pavement, drunk people can be really intimidating as you are so vulnerable and have nowhere to go. But people go through this every day and at least I have a light at the end of the tunnel.”

James has been recording videos every day

Have you been able to go to any shelters?

“Shelters are often full and I wouldn’t want to take away a place from someone who is genuinely homeless.”

Why do you think homelessness has got so bad in the recent years? What can we do to improve the situation?

The number one cause of homelessness is still relationship breakdown within families and partnerships, however there are still a number of people who come from care and ex-military.

It has got so much worse in the last four years, visibly so. The truth is that funds have been cut, charities are increasingly relied on and people aren’t donating as much and the quickest way to help is by donating.”

To help James reach his target of £25,000, please donate here.