These women told us what they actually want for Christmas

“She might want a vibrator alarm clock”

‘Gifts for her’, ‘give her the perfect gift’ and ‘make her feel special this Christmas’. These slogans are everywhere at this time of year; injecting shopping instructions with a hypodermic needle, and usually attached to an unsavourily priced gift.

But what do women really want for Christmas? Do they actually want Swarovski diamonds, Chanel perfume or £300 hair straighteners? Or does she prefer the practicality of book tokens, pens or note pads? Maybe she’s the fun type who likes gimmicks, she might want a vibrator alarm clock. Yes, ladies these ARE now a thing.

“Just your love” she’ll say, if you ask her what she wants. Which may be true, but she might prefer this love in the shape of a sentimental gift; a photo book or a collage for those of us strapped for cash. After all, romance has no price tag. Perhaps women desire gifts that aren’t driven by the media. Maybe they want the unconventional, as opposed to being told ‘what they want’ by advertising giants.

Well don’t fear, because we asked a selection of women exactly what they want this Christmas.

Liz

“I like people to put thought into gifts, not just pick something off the first page of a catalogue. I also like gifts that are funny, I’m not a fan of big expensive presents as I think the thought means more than the amount. It also means I don’t have to spend a lot in return too which is good news being a poor student.”

Emily

“I suppose other than money, I just want general comforts such as perfume, pyjamas and makeup. Bras and knickers, jewellery, novelty mugs and funny memorabilia would be nice. I don’t want chocolate or clothes though!”

Shaidatul

“As a Muslim I don’t celebrate Christmas. But in the UK my friends included me in their celebration and I felt very much at home. I’d wish for lots of good food and sufficient money so that I can see all of my loved ones and enjoy being together.”

Lorna

“I guess Christmas presents can be split into two categories. Presents from family and presents from a significant other. For the former, please just ask me what I want for Christmas, so we can all handle the Christmas present dilemma as efficiently as possible. Now, for Christmas presents from the significant other, do not dare ask me what I want. The expectation is for you to pick up hints and come up with thoughtful presents – doesn’t have to be expensive really, as long as you put the effort in!”

Barbara

“I find it quite hard to ask for something. I can get everything for myself now as an adult but without presents it wouldn’t quite feel like Christmas. So we decided to do a family secret santa via an online tool as I live abroad, which also included a wish list option. There I said that I didn’t need anything but liked clothes, my grandmother’s statement jewellery, or a list of a couple of specific books. This was if they couldn’t think of anything at all or wanted to play it very safe. I mainly just look forward to seeing my family though!”

Vikitoria

“I used to want fluffy stuff and sisters. However this Christmas, I want a pile of good books, but don’t bother if you can’t provide me with time to enjoy them too.”

Izy

“If I’m really honest, since being a student all I have asked for is money at Christmas. Sentimental? No. Lifesaving? Yes. With Christmas money I can manage to travel and also buy all the makeup I like without having to make my Dad suffer over which matte lip colours I really want…”

Sabina

“I just wish that this Christmas, people were mature enough to acknowledge their feelings. But a trip to New York would be nice too.”

Disclaimer: (Self-realisation not available in shops).

Samantha

“I like jewellery but let’s be honest, I’ll just end up losing it. I’d like an experience that we can both share at Christmas, like a weekend away or a trip to the theatre. I like to make memories.”

So what do women want then?

It seems that women do want that special gift, but with some thought attached. Some of us do really want those ‘girly gifts’ and there’s nothing wrong with enjoying materialistic presents. As you can see also, practical gifts such as money and books are nice too. However we’re all different, so research the gal you’re buying for.

Use a bit of imagination, think of what her interests are. Be stealthy, spy at what she looks at or speaks of, but don’t take this method literally because no one wants wrapped up jars of pesto just because they’re vocal about their pesto obsession (this may or may not have happened to me). Ladies, be careful what you declare your love for at this time of year.