We rated all the Christmas trees on campus

They’re treemendous

Can you be-leaf it? Term is officially over for most, but Christmas is still a couple of weeks away. We decided to head out on a tree-rific tour of campus to locate the campus’s most festive firs, submit them to our cold, impassioned scrutiny and pit them against each other, because nothing quite says ‘Christmas’, like a spot of ruthless competition.

Outside Arts Centre

Tree pose. Geddit? Yes. Yes, you do.

Size: 10/10

Decoration: 7/10

General Festivity: 8/10

Comments: Its all in the height. The decoration? ‘Minimalist,’ some would say, others would go with ‘lazy’.

Inside Arts Centre

Not in my house.

Size: 5/10

Decoration: 4/10 (bonus point for originality)

Festivity: 3/10

Comments: Imitation dead leaves on slightly less dead leaves. We appreciate it was themed, but all the same.

Chaplaincy

Cheery

Size: 6.5/10

Decoration: 7.510

General Festivity: 7.5/10

Comments: Red and gold is always a winner.

Library

A real novelty

Size: 6/10

Decoration: 6/10

General Festivity: 7/10 (bonus point for originality)

Comments: Imagine playing Jenga.

Chemistry

Science students get all the perks.

Size: 8/10

Decoration: 8.5/10

General Festivity: 8.5/10

Comments: The competition is heating up with this number. Those chemists sure know a thing or two about Christmas trees.

Humanities

Get it away.

Size: 7/10

Decoration: 2/10

Festivity: 1/10

Comments: Have you ever walked into the Humanities’ building in the past few weeks and felt … watched? The culprit: a sinister, insidious presence lurking in a squished corner of the reception, its branches splayed tarantula-like against the ceiling. Instead of emitting a starry glow from its top, as a Christmas tree is supposed to do, this thing seems to seep a dingy gloom. Stare too long, and be claimed by the abyss.

WMG

Ho ho how spectacular

Size: 9/10

Decoration: 9/10

Festivity: 9/10

Comments: We’ve got front-runner, folks.

Oculus

Oculush

Size: 9/10

Decoration: 8/10

Festivity: 8/10

Comments: Yew can’t beat a good Christmas tree. They really spruce up the place.

Xananas

Tree bien

Size: 8/10

Decoration: 7.5/10

Festivity: 8/10

Comments: He looks a little drunk (or trunk), but he’s merry. If the ghost of Christmas present from ‘A Muppet’s Christmas Carol’ was embodied in tree form, he would look like this.

Koan

Never out of season, never out of style

Size: 10/10

Decoration: N/A

General Festivity: 10/10

Comments: You can’t dismiss the Koan.

And the winner was: WMG

It’s got it all. Height, decoration and colour. Get your pics now folks, and make sure to give the Humanities building a wide birth as you make your way down to WMG.

Merry Christmas! And remember  – you can’t really quantify true festive spirit.