Plans for new student accommodation between Leamington and Kenilworth

They want to build on rural land

Plans have been put forward for a new student accommodation to be built on rural land between Leamington and Kenilworth.

The applicant, Vik Tara, is seeking permission from Warwick District Council to build this accommodation which would be located near a bus stop for routes into Coventry, Leamington, Kenilworth and Warwick University.

The plans propose building on rural land near the Ramada Hotel

The proposed five ‘eco-buildings’ would include 10 cluster flats, with a total of 100 bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms, and ancillary accommodation for use as student accommodation at Chesford Bridge House, near the Ramada Hotel.

The statement highlights a growing student population, and says: “The applicant considers the proposed development at Blackdown to be ideally located to deliver effective and sustainable student accommodation.”

However, objections to the plans have already been made to the Council. Michael Jeffs, of the Warwickshire Branch of the Campaign to Protect Rural England, said: “The site is in the narrow Green Belt between Kenilworth and Leamington Spa and we believe it must be protected for generations to come.

“There are no exceptional circumstances in this application to justify building student accommodation on this site.”

Residents of Ashow, a nearby village, have also objected, with one commenting: “This ridiculous application is wholly unacceptable and must be dismissed out of hand.

“There are insufficient local services to support a population of 100 students, there is no demand for such accommodation in this area, and the implications for access and for traffic are horrendous.”