Warwick’s first ever female Chancellor has just been appointed

Lady Ashton was even nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize

The Senate and Council of the University of Warwick have agreed to appoint The Rt Hon. The Baroness Ashton of Upholland GCMG PC as the University of Warwick’s new Chancellor.

Lady Ashton succeeds Sir Richard Lambert, and will be the first ever female Chancellor of the University of Warwick.

14874835_1352806844731381_22411623_n

She said: “Education is a vital component of our society that changes lives and gives people choices and opportunity.

“That ability of education and research to change lives stretches across our planet for a University such as Warwick with its significant research programme focused on global issues.

“I am deeply honoured to be able to make my small contribution to the work of such an increasingly renowned university.”

After many years of experience in the public, private and NGO sectors, Lady Ashton was appointed to the House of Lords in 1999.

Lady Ashton joined the Department of Constitutional Affairs/Justice in 2004 as Minister with responsibilities for family courts, development of the Supreme Court, human rights and equality legislation.

She then served as Leader of the House of Lords and Lord President of the Queen’s Privy Council from 2007-8. During this time, she took the Lisbon Treaty through the House of Lords.

In 2008, she was then appointed Trade Commissioner for the European Union, leading to her appointment as High Representative for Foreign Policy, and the First Vice President of the European Commission.

Her achievements in the five years following this earned her a host of awards and honours from around the globe, including being nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Lady Ashton will take up the role with effect from 1st January 2017.