Warwick to continue funding the Leamington Street Marshals

The scheme protects students after nights out

The University of Warwick has recently announced that it will continue to fund the Leamington Street Marshals for a further five years – a scheme which is integral in safeguarding students after a night out.

The Leamington Street Marshal scheme was set up in 2013, and are of high significance to the Leamington Spa nightlife.

The scheme helps to safeguard students after a night out, providing pastoral care and protection after pubs and clubs close.

The volunteers are first aid trained and ensure that vulnerable students get home safely.

The Street Marshals also promote positive community relations by encouraging students to respect the interests of other residents whilst walking through residential areas.

They mainly operate in areas of Leamington frequented by Warwick students on Monday to Thursday nights, from 11pm to 4am.

The Vice-Chancellor, Professor Stuart Croft, said: “We are pleased to announce the further funding of the Street Marshals.

“The scheme has proven to be an effective method of both supporting our students living in Leamington, and helping to foster improved community relations with Leamington residents.”

Councillor Moira-Ann Grainger, Warwick District Council Portfolio Holder, Health and Community Protection added: “I am delighted that the University has confirmed funding for a further five years.”

The scheme has been shortlisted for the Security and Fire Excellence Awards 2016, with cities and towns across the UK now considering using this model to help keep students safe and maintain strong community relations.

Angus Hamill, a final year Maths student, who lives in Leamington Spa, described the scheme as “extremely positive”, noting that their presence makes you feel safe on nights out.