WBS to build new UK Statistical Centre

They’ve partnered with the National Institute of Economic and Social Research

Warwick Business School has partnered with the National Institute of Economic and Social Research (NIESR) to develop the new Economic Statistics Centre of Excellence (ESCoE) for the Office of National Statistics (ONS).

WBS, along with King’s College London, innovation foundation Nesta, University of Cambridge and Strathclyde Business School, have partnered with NIESR to help develop a cultural change in the way UK economic data is delivered.

The Centre will provide ONS with research that addresses the challenges of measuring the modern economy, as highlighted by the recommendations in the Bean Review of UK Economic Statistics. The new project will also work to minimise misinterpretation of economic statistical releases.

James Mitchell, a Professor of Economic Modelling and Forecasting at WBS said: “An important aspect of ESCoE’s work will be to help minimise the scope for misinterpretation in statistical releases, one of the problems highlighted in the Bean Review.”

Rebecca Riley, of NIESR, who will be the Centre’s Director added: “Our vision is ambitious, involving a cultural change in the delivery of economic statistics.

“The centre provides an exciting opportunity for making significant inroads into developing and improving economic statistics.”