Forget about the John Lewis ad, Kevin the Carrot wins Christmas this year

‘It’s a 24 carrot success’

Yesterday we welcomed the arrival of the much awaited John Lewis Christmas ad ‘Buster the Boxer’.

We’re used to the John Lewis advert tugging on our heartstrings, the first viewing is usually accompanied by bouts of tears.  However, this year’s ad is more likely to make you laugh than cry.

But the Aldi advert is a different story. It is a magical retelling of the The Night Before Christmas, as it follows Kevin the Carrot on his adventure to meet Father Christmas by making his way across a festive dinner table, before finding himself riding Santa’s sleigh. An emotional tale, to say the least.

Of their advert, John Lewis gave the following description: “This is the story of a little girl called Bridget who loves to bounce. When her mum and dad buy her a trampoline for Christmas, they soon discover that she isn’t the only one with a passion for jumping.”

Many have criticised the ad for not making us cry, with others claiming that it was a massive disappointment in comparison to previous years. Advertising and Media student, Chloe Shaw, claimed that it was “underwhelming”, writing that “it was a nice message and quite cute but it didn’t meet my high expectations”.

I am a great fan of the John Lewis ads – they’re always so well made, with a tear-jerking tale and an emotional sound track. But the 2016 ad is disappointing to say the least, the story is sweet – but a little flat. Where’s the love story? Where’s Santa? You’ve got to admire John Lewis for moving away from the sad, bleak message of last years ‘Man on the Moon’, but I’m afraid it hasn’t won it for me.

Instead, my vote goes to Aldi, for their star ‘Kevin the Carrot’ whose Christmas adventure certainly warmed my heart.

The narrator begins: “Twas the night before Christmas, a carrot gazed at the sky, thinking ‘I could meet Santa when he gets his mince pie, but a Christmassy spread, though a joy to us all, can be quite scary when you are three inches tall”.

Aldi have launched a limited-edition Kevin the Carrot toy to be sold across UK stores for £2.99, all the profits will be going to children’s charity, Barnados. Just another reason why Aldi have won the Christmas ad battle.

Aldi have also gone one step further in their quest to win the battle of the 2016 Christmas ads with their recent mockery of the John Lewis ad. Released this morning, they posted a video which slyly made fun of all the hype surrounding the retailers Christmas ad.

The narrator exclaims:”Carrot was waiting, his head in a tizz, “Oh golly, oh gosh, how exciting is this? The thing he’d been waiting for all through the year was finally happening, yes it was here.”

Kevin proceeds to hyperventilate over his excitement, after exclaiming “John Lewis!”

You’ve got to admire Aldi for responding to all of the commotion over the John Lewis ad.

Alistair Hollis told The Tab: “Aldi has scored a 24carrot success with their 2016 advert. I think their parody of #KevintheCarrot watching #BustertheBoxer was very innovative.”

Kevin the Carrot has certainly won my heart this Christmas, what about yours?