Coventry is the eight best UK city to live in

The criteria assessed included jobs, income, health, work-life balance

Coventry has been ranked as the eight best UK city to work, live and do business, according to the 2016 Good Growth for Cities Index.

The index, which is produced by PWC and the think-tank Demos, measures the performance of 42 of the UK’s largest cities economically and socially.

The criteria assessed also included jobs, income, health, work-life balance, new businesses per head and house price to earnings.

Coventry was above the UK average in terms of jobs, health, new businesses per head and transport.

This is great news for Coventry, as they improved their ranking from last year, moving up from 10th place.

Alison Breadon, head of PwC’s government and public sector team in the Midlands said: “Coventry was one of the cities with the biggest increase in score, jumping two places from 10th in 2015 to eighth in 2016.

“This positive change was due to very low 2015 unemployment at 3.4 per cent compared to eight per cent in 2012.”

Welcoming the latest index, Louise Bennett, chief executive of the Coventry and Warwickshire Chamber of Commerce , said: “This is a very positive report for Coventry as a place to work and do business.

“Of course, more can be done. We are very keen to support more businesses with exporting because that is an area we can still see huge potential for further growth.

“And there are still barriers to growth that, if we can remove, it will give the city and the region even more opportunity to grow.”

Birmingham ranked number 33, whilst Leicester was placed 11th.