Warwick Jailbreak winners reach Oman

The pair travelled through France and Turkey before reaching their final destination

Warwick Jailbreak fundraised for Breast Cancer Now and each member had to raise a minimum of £60 before embarking on their journey.

This year, 104 teams of Jailbreakers had 36 hours to beg and borrow their way across the globe to get the furthest away from campus.

So far they have raised £25,000 in total, but that number is still increasing.

The winners were announced last night at 23:OO GMT as Alicia Tordjman and Elliott Cervantes, who have reached Muscat, Oman at 22:32pm on the 6th of November, after travelling through France and then Turkey.

The pair of second years went under the name of ‘Aeli Hit the Road’ and tracked 5928.5km away from their original destination, which was Coventry.

Alix said: “We raised money in every ‘big spot’ as Saint Pancras Intl, or Roissy Charles de Gaulle. To cross the French border, we took a bus. We met many amazing people, who were of a great help.

“We still can’t believe that we are the winners! After an eight hour plane journey, we had no battery. We didn’t know how the other teams were doing, so it was even more amazing to have the surprise!”

There were other teams that did extremely well and manage to find their way to Milan, Tenerife and Barcelona.

Christian McNally, who was part of a team that got to Milan in Italy, said: “Our team did really will this year! We made it to Milan by 7:30 pm, but we were so exhausted that we decided to call it quits there and go for some pizza, we hadn’t properly slept since we started.”

On reaching far as Milan, he commented: “I am surprised that we did make it to Italy though, I did not expect the train people to be so flexible.”

Last year’s winners got to Rome and the previous year, the winning team reached Israel.