Almost half of Warwick students think consent classes are patronising

Yet 38 per cent of you think that they should be compulsory

In The Tab’s recent survey on sexual assault, rape culture, and consent, it has been revealed that 46 per cent of students at The University of Warwick class consent classes as patronising.

It is therefore no surprise that only 22 per cent of students have attended, and 3 per cent have even walked out.

Despite this, 38 per cent of students surveyed think that the classes should become compulsory.

Warwick continued with the ‘I Heart Consent’ workshops during Freshers week this year, after ex-Women’s Officer Josie Throup launched the initiative in 2015. The workshops invite students to attend in order to raise awareness of an issue that is so often misunderstood.

The workshops are designed to be a safe space to discuss the myths and facts around sexual violence. The interactive sessions lasted for 90 minutes and were open to both new and existing students. Warwick were especially encouraging sports clubs and societies executives to attend the workshops.

An article written by a Warwick student last year heavily criticised the SU’s consent classes, claiming that they were an “insult” and a “waste of time”. But it would appear that over a third of Warwick students disagree with his critical comments, having voted in favour of the compulsory consent classes.

Third year Psychology student Rory Stoddart commented that he wasn’t surprised that so many students find the classes patronising. He added: “Warwick needs to find a way to promote consent in a way that doesn’t patronise its students”.

Chris Haine, a third year History student said that he wouldn’t mind consent classes becoming compulsory. He added that “even if you yourself don’t gain anything from it, it’s important for everyone to have an understanding.”