Every stage a girl goes through whilst getting ready for a night out

Getting bloated can lead to a total outfit meltdown

What shall I wear? How shall I do my make up? Do I have my hair curly or straight? Up or down? What shoes do I wear? Heels or flats? Does my outfit go? What bag matches my outfit?

All of these are essential questions for any night out.

The classic girls photo

In second year I lived with five other guys, and they never quite understood why my two other female flat mates and I took “so long” to get ready. They often criticised the fact that we got ready together and constantly moaned about it.

But when you’re a guy you don’t need to worry about what shade of lipstick you’ll be wearing, or whether to spend half an hour curling your hair.

Their response is usually: “Who cares? Who cares if you go out in jeans or a skirt? Who cares if your hair is immaculately presented or thrown in a messy bun?” The answer is I care – we care what we look like on a night out. And for many of us girls, getting ready is all part of the fun of going out.

I have nothing to wear :(((

Picking an outfit will be impossible

In many respects this is the hardest part of getting ready. So many questions, so many different options.

Do I have my legs out, or my boobs? Do I dress casually, or go for something a bit more dressy? Every time I go out, I always end up trying on at least five different outfits. Sometimes your favourite dress just doesn’t look right because you ate pasta for dinner and you’re feeling bloated so you need something loose fitting.

Experimenting with your hair

Again, another aspect which involves so many possibilities. For me the easy option is just simply running my straighteners through my hair. But that can be boring, sometimes I want to go for a different look. I might curl it, or clip some of it back – so many choices and this takes time.

Unneeded reassurance from your bestie

After narrowing down to two or three outfits you then need the final approval from your bestie. Secretly you’ve already chosen the outfit for tonight’s antics, but you need that reassurance that you’re looking your best. They also need to tell you if your hair is on point – like the outfit, the hair needs to be a winner as well.

Choosing the perfect make up

Now this is the part I dread. Is it going to be a good make up day or a bad one? The eyes are always a cause of tension.

The first decision is the all important question of eyeshadow – what colour scheme do I go for? Do I go for pretty pink and glittery; or a more dramatic smoky eye? The application takes time and a steady hand, preparing you for the hardest part.

Spending an hour evening out both sides of your eyeliner

Eye liner is both a blessing and a curse. The flick is never the same, and it never goes quite how you want it. You lose concentration for just a mili-second and you find yourself resembling a boxer in the wrestling ring with numerous black smudges. After a few tries, you eventually say “this’ll do” because your hands shaking from trying to perfect your wing.

The endless selfies

By now you should be fully dressed, with your hair and make up done. You now only have a couple of decisions left to make before you can head your way down to pres and completely destroy the hours of work you have just put in making yourself look in any way presentable. But as long as you’ve got that selfie from before it all went down hill, who cares right?

Getting ready is not an easy task, it takes time and it is an art. So please guys, stop moaning at how bored you are downstairs whilst waiting for us to join you.