We spoke to the guys who run ENTER, Warwick’s newest night out

Their first event completely sold out

Warwick may not be known for its vibrant nightlife, but it’s safe to say that recently there have been significant improvements.

With the arrival of Switch two years ago, we’ve seen many student-run nights pop up, transforming Leamington Spa and putting it on the map.

We caught up with Warwick students Patrick and Pascal, about their brand new night ‘ENTER’.

Pascal and Patrick

What made you want to start a new night at Warwick?

Patrick: “Well from my perspective, most of the club nights at Warwick were too repetitive, you know exactly what to expect every time if you go to POP!, Smack, Neon etc. Since I’ve been DJing many genres spanning UKG to tech house, I thought, why not surprise the crowd each time? 

“So we came up with the concept of ENTER as a way to bring music from all across the world and DJs with their own unique sound to our very own Leamington Spa, something which would give the crowd a different experience every time they come to our event.”

Is it different to Toast?

Pascal: “Yeah definitely. Toast was very underground and techno focussed, it had a great core following but sometimes may not have had the variety to satisfy everyone. Having said that, it’s what gave us the opportunity we have today so we’re really grateful to the founding Toast guys.”

How did you both create the event?

Patrick: “We always knew from first year we’d love to start an event at Warwick. I came up with the name during an extended brainstorming session really, something which could be an interesting prefix for a theme. Enter works nicely to represent going into a different city or theme each time and is also quite catchy. I continue to have my own DJ set out of enjoyment but other than that there is a lot of behind the scenes planning which needs to be done.”

How much work is involved?

Pascal: “Sales, marketing, DJ and equipment hire, and even coordinating our team of five other guys who help us out with all these tasks, to anyone who is considering starting an event there is a lot more work that goes into it than just on the night. Even the task of keeping people in order at the door is enough in itself, but we have a great, really motivated team who all love the concept so we’re lucky in that sense.”

How much is entry and what’s the price of vodka mixers?

Patrick: “Entry ranges from five to seven pounds depending on the guest DJ as they’re very expensive to bring in. Vodka mixers are £2.50.”

Has the night has been successful so far?

Patrick: “Definitely! Demand was way more than anticipated and we sold more than 700 tickets. One of the biggest turnouts that Altoria has ever had, so we’re really excited to hopefully keep that trend going.”

Do you think the Warwick nightlife has improved in the last two years?

Patrick: “I think it’s better in that there is something for everyone now. You have events like Pon De Floor, Formation and Blue Light as well as huge house parties from societies to try and make sure that everyone’s tastes are covered.”

What kind of people would you say go to your event? 

Pascal: “From the first event all kinds! We are predominantly international as we are filling the gap in the market that Toast left so I’d say quite laid-back, but people definitely make an effort on their appearance and style. However there are more British students too than we ever saw in Toast, so hopefully from all the hard work we put into reaching out to a lot of people.”

Sweet, when’s your next night?

Patrick: “Next Thursday we have our Halloween theme event with ILL PHIL, a UK House DJ some definitely will have heard of. We’re putting a lot of effort into transforming Altoria for the night so expect a great atmosphere.”