Mind Aware speaks out about Warwick’s shocking mental health support

We invested the least money for mental health services in the country

A survey carried out by The Tab revealed that Warwick is the fourth worst university in the UK for dealing with mental health.

Warwick has received the worst score for financial support for the university’s counselling service. It was revealed that funding only stretches to £12 per student on the service, while the average spend in the country is nearly £22.

The Tab Warwick spoke to Mind Aware, Warwick’s mental health awareness society, which campaigns to decrease the stigmas surrounding mental health. Their Campaigns Officer, Megan Day, said: “It is truly shocking that the university has come 27th in the mental health rankings.

“It is important that Warwick recognises that going to university is a brand new experience and can be very daunting and stressful at each and every stage for students.”

Megan added: “It is of utmost importance that there are services available for students to reach out to if needed, and that when they do so it is not seen as a sign of weakness.

“This should be reflected in the university investing more time and money into improving the student support services at Warwick.”

“Mental illness is something which is unique to the individual and therefore care and support needs to meet these unique needs.

“Students fighting mental illness need continual support throughout their time at university. At Warwick many students wait a long time to be seen and by the time they are, their situation may have worsened. This needs to change.”

“Many students only reach out to support services once things get really bad, and so waiting weeks to be seen is not acceptable. Now is the time for the university to step up and support those who need it.

“The work the counselling service do is very important, but they can only continue that work to a high standard when adequate funding is provided”.

If you are struggling with mental health, please reach out. Organisations like the Samaritans are here to help. To see how the Tab compiled the mental health rankings, click here.