Meet Warwick’s Thai Boxing team

If you hadn’t heard of them

The Thai Boxing club love getting in the ring and fighting, but its not all violence and gore.

Thai Boxing is a martial art that requires skill and diligence to hone and practice. We love getting fit, hanging out and just having fun together.

Meet some of our club members:

Ryan Truesdale

1st year Chemistry | Current Treasurer | Skill level: 4 months; 1 interclub  

What made you join Thai Boxing?

This is going to sound lame, but I read a lot of manga and one of my favourite themes is martial arts. I read about Muay Thai in a few and thought it looked really cool, so I thought I’d give it a go and I haven’t looked back.

Favorite technique drill? Clinch-work.

Favorite fitness drill?  Jumping squats.

Favorite exec member? Xing, she took pity on me in my first circle and told me the rules.

Have you done any interclubs? If not, would you consider doing it in the future?

I fought in our interclub in February and whilst I wouldn’t say I came out on top, I can’t wait to get back in the ring.

If you have prepared for an interclub: Favorite meal plan to train for interclub? Favorite training regime to prepare for interclub? Favorite post-workout snack?

• Noodle soups – you get veg, lean protein and they’re my favourite thing to cook.
  • As much sparring as possible, real experience is the most helpful thing in the ring.
  • A Guinness. That counts as a snack, right?

Charlay Wood  

3rd year Biochemistry | Former Social Secretary | Skill level: 4 months; 1 interclub

What made you join Thai Boxing?

I was training for a half marathon.

Favorite technique drill? Body kicks.

Favorite fitness drill?  Planks, crunches, squats.

Favorite exec member? Macauley. He’s very supportive, a great coach & good friend. 

Yes, fought at Warwick 2016.

•  Anything high in carbs. So pasta is always good.
  • I like running for miles, but putting sprints in. I usually sprint every 3rd lamppost if I’m running along the side of the road.
  • Protein shakes/bars. Always. 

Jim Maden

2nd year Economics | Member of the fight team | Skill level: 13 months; 3 interclubs 

What made you join Thai Boxing?

Because it’s a good laugh! And to punch stuff!

Favorite technique drill? Knees because there’s much room for improvement for me there.

Favorite fitness drill?  Anything involving press-ups.

Favorite exec member? Afif (who else).

Yep.

• No chocolate, no alcohol, fewer carbs.
  • Just a focus on technique to be honest.
  • Homemade burritos.

Klara Moozova 

4th year German and Business | Member of the fight team| Skill level: 15 months; 1 interclub 

What made you join Thai Boxing?

I wanted to get more fit, whilst learning skills that could be useful for protecting myself.

Favorite technique drill? Punch-Cross-Right low Kick and Push Kick

Favorite fitness drill?  Working with a partner you do for example ten right kicks run to the other side of the room and do 10 burpees. Painful but effective 😉

Favorite exec member? Andy Carter (president 2012-2013)

Yes I have done one now because I think I was not ready in the previous years, unfortunately I am in my last year so I will be able to do one more and then it will be the end …

If you have prepared for an interclub: Favorite meal plan? Favorite training regime? Favorite post-workout snack?

I am allergic to gluten so that helps, however you should eat the things that you like but try to substitute for less calories options. In preparation for the interclub I would go to almost all sessions, especially the ones where you do sparring. Additionally I went to the gym to strengthen myself and did swimming and rope jumping to increase my fitness. Definitely strawberry soya milk and sleep.

Anaïs Ronchin

2nd year Politics and International Studies | Former Events Secretary | Skill level: 18 months; 1 interclub 

What made you join Thai Boxing?

I wanted to do a fighting sports with as little rules as possible

Favorite technique drill? My favorites are teeps: when you extend your leg to touch your opponent’s stomach. They hurt quite badly and allow you to annoy the opponent very quickly. Sassy and effective!

Favorite fitness drill? My favourite are definitely squats. You feel the burn and tone your legs extremely fast!

Favorite exec member? My favourite exec member is Haania, she was treasurer this year. She is so small yet so strong! Sometimes I had the impression she was the president. She knows how to deal with problems and everytime I asked for information, she would reply instantly. I like effective people who know how to run stuff! That little woman knows, I can tell you.

I did one last year and would love to do more! I was the event organiser this year and thus was busy making the event run as smooth as possible. The buzzing atmosphere, the tension allied with the excitement and fear of the fighters is what I love the most. Last year, it was the best day ever! I cannot wait to do more.

If you have prepared for an interclub:  1. Favorite meal plan to train for interclub? 2. Favorite training regime to prepare for interclub? 3. Favorite post-workout snack?

The meal plan will depend on whether you have to cut weight or not. Last year, I had to cut one kilo, so I had to make sure I would not gain weight. I witnessed the weighs-in this year and many fighters were surprised to see that, instead of cutting weight, they actually gained some! I did not change much to my habits, I just reduced the portions and avoided any greasy foods.

The training regime is simple: do not drink, do not smoke and do a lot of cardio. I do not smoke, however when you go on nights out it is easy to breathe cigarettes’ smoke when your friends are around you – especially in the smoking area-. I did not realise how bad for me it was until I completely stopped going out: I felt so light and powerful! Doing cardio got much easier. Today, I try to keep it that way.

I don’t snack at all after a workout: generally, I work out in the morning and have my breakfast right after. However, if I could advise on a healthy snack, that would definitely be baby carrots. Easy to take with you and you feel healthy. Try hoummus with it, it’s amazing!

Samuel Mitchell

1st year Discrete Mathematics | Current General Secretary | Skill level: 24 months; 3 interclubs 

What made you join Thai Boxing?

I have done martial arts all my life including Thai boxing at home and wanted to continue it at university. The club was very welcoming during freshers so I decided to continue training with them.

Favorite technique drill? Freestyle padwork.

Favorite fitness drill? Burpees.

Favorite exec member? Mauricio Pesantes.

Yes, I’ve done 3 this year.

I eat chicken and pasta for lots of my meals. I don’t really have a regime. Just train as much as possible. My favourite snack is peanut butter on toast.

Haania Waheed

2nd year English Literature and Creative Writing | Former Treasurer | Skill level: 18 months; 2 interclubs 

What made you join Thai Boxing?

So I could feel strong and not let being small stop me.

Favorite technique drill? Head kicks

Favorite fitness drill? Sit-up circle

Favorite exec member? Mac, because otherwise he’ll make me do extra burpees.

Yes. And I want to keep doing them.

• High fats and carbs, mostly because I’m permanently under weight.
  • A mix of weight training, HIIT and training sessions.
  • Chocolate, banana and peanut butter protein shake for dem gainz

Jatha Praisoody

1st year Engineering | Club member | Skill level: 3 months; 0 interclubs 

What made you join Thai Boxing?

Looked like a fun way to keep fit and train.

Favorite technique drill? Body kicks

Favorite fitness drill? None

Favorite exec member? Mac 

No interclubs, definitely next year.

Gihan Srikantha

4th year Law and Sociology | Former President | Skill level: 42 months; 6 interclubs 

What made you join Thai Boxing?

I always wanted to learn a martial art and Thai Boxing was a great way to have fun and stay fit.

Favorite technique drill? Head kicks

Favorite fitness drill? The sprinting drill

Favorite exec member? Afif – my vice-president and training partner.

I’ve done a few interclubs, but I think I’ll be retiring for the foreseeable future, unless I can find a good gym to train at after university.

If you have prepared for an interclub:  1. Favorite meal plan to train? 2. Favorite training regime? 3. Favorite post-workout snack?

• I don’t have a specific meal plan, but I always make sure I’m eating healthy before I fight.
  • Lots of freestyle padwork and sparring alongside gym sessions.
  • An omelette.

Nat  

2nd year PhD in Physical Chemistry | Current Kit Secretary | Skill level: 6 months; 1 interclub 

What made you join Thai Boxing?

I did Kickboxing in school and was looking to get back to a combat sport to help me manage my stress levels.

Favorite technique drill? Kicks are the best, really, all of them!

Favorite fitness drill? Ah! These are all horrible, really, but it is when you start feeling better after more and more of them that it really feels good!

Favorite exec member? I wouldn’t be neither fair nor true if I chose one. The past exec was fantastic and made joining Thai Boxing a great experience. Now that I am part of the new exec team, couldn’t be more excited! And Mac, our coach, is great, very supportive and training and interclubs.

Yes, last February, and would definitely do them again. All booked in for the one in Sheffield in April, and will always look for more.

• What to eat was really a big question for me as I had no idea what a fighter eats! I settled for yogurt, granola and fruit for breakfast and celebration steak afterwards!
  • 4 times a week with lots of fitness and lots of sparring. I always enjoy the sessions, don’t have a favorite routine!
  • Peanut butter and banana smoothie has got to be the winner!

Xing Ying Tan   

2nd year Law | Former Kit Secretary | Skill level: 18 months; 0 interclubs 

What made you join Thai Boxing?

Originally it was a fun way to keep fit and I’ve always wanted to learn a martial art. It’s weird that being hit during sparing is a way for me to relax.

Favorite technique drill? Combos!

Favorite fitness drill? Squats (;

Favorite exec member? Afif. All of us fight over him.

Not yet but I hope to do one soon.

Darius Finch

3rd year Engineering | Member of the fight team | Skill level: 36 months; 7 interclubs

What made you join Thai Boxing?

It was a more realistic version of the martial arts I did as a kid.

Favorite technique drill? Jab, step, knee.

Favorite fitness drill? Skipping.

Favorite exec member? Mac.

Yes, 7.

• Lots of fruit and nuts
  • Drilling and simulating fights to keep lose and relaxed
  • Pot noodles