A single’s guide to spending Valentine’s Day at Warwick

What to do if someone is yet to profess their undying love to you

For many students, Valentine’s Day emerges like a rose-red, heart shaped mirage out of a deflating post-Christmas period. It is a day where they forget about the deadline ridden period in which they find themselves in term two.

Today they will be inundated with love and attention. They will have candlelit dinners with their significant others, receive cheesy presents in chocolate or flower form, and moonpig cards will arrive by the dozen through their letterbox.

This is all wonderful, if you’re actually in a relationship.

What all the single gals are wearing this Valentine’s.

For all the single people, do not despair. Who says you can’t gift yourself that massive box of Tesco finest truffles? And is there a rule that you have to be with someone to go to that fancy Italian restaurant in Leamington on Sunday night? (Disclaimer – we would actually advise avoiding Italian restaurants, especially La Coppola, on Valentine’s for the preservation of dignity and self-esteem).

Valentine’s doesn’t need to be a self-pitying party where the only guests present are you, Ben and Jerry. Here are a few cheeky ideas if you’re spending the 14th minus friends and/or benefits at Warwick University:

Day trip

Who cares if you’re single when brunch is available (Deli Cafe in Stratford-Upon-Avon).

Don’t spend V- Day as a pyjama clad, ice-cream devouring cliche:  visit one of the places you have been telling yourself you would go to since you got to university. The towns of Warwick and Stratford-Upon-Avon are just a short bus ride away, and are definitely heart face emoji worthy with cute cobbled streets and independent eateries to explore. Either alone or with friends, a day sight-seeing makes for a quirky experience which you can most importantly Instagram about later.

Wine and Dine

No Valentine’s date? It’s Nacho problem.

Pizza is desirable in any situation, happy or sad, but how about a gastronomic change on Valentine’s Day? If you’re staying in make Mexican your bae this Sunday. Satisfying both in terms of carbs and cheese content, the Mexican take-away Casa Rica in Leamington is a tried and tested favourite. Don’t be put off by the questionable decor, the burritos are particularly unreal.

Classy cocktails

Although these two are in relationships, my espresso martini helped me forget that i’m not.

If you have managed to salvage a few fellow singletons from your friendship group, why not go for a sophisticated cocktail night with your pals? Turtle Bay in Leamington has a lively atmosphere and has a well deserved reputation as  a fun drinks location. If Turtle Bay is all booked out, The Clarendon is also a great chilled alternative.

Indulge in something sweet

Try the millionaire shortbread and revel in your vegan, clean-eating glory.

While your romantically committed friends will be gorging themselves on spaghetti and chocolate fondue, it would be easy to indulge in some comfort eating on Sunday. If you want something yummy which isn’t a gazillion calories, Pure and Raw in Leamington make unbelievable raw cakes using only natural, superfood ingredients.

Treat yourself

No regrets.

Nothing says ‘I love me’ better than a little (or massive) shopping haul. Whether it be clothes, make-up, or random stuff you don’t need from PoundLand, shopping is one of the best ways to pass any day. Especially on Valentine’s, take advantage of all the date night outfit/underwear edits in the shops to find yourself something extra pretty. If everyone else is in relationships, you may as well profit from their happiness!

Spend it with fictional company

That side-eye glance though.

There is something extremely comforting in losing yourself in your favourite novels brought to life in period dramas. I would highly recommend the classics: Pride and Prejudice and North and South , where Colin Firth and Richard Armitage make suitably brooding male heroes. If you’re agonising over your lack of boyfriend, content yourself with fantasising over these fictional male characters. Rest assured it isn’t that Mr Darcy doesn’t want to be with you, its because he doesn’t exist.