We asked international students if they’re glad they came to Warwick

‘I cannot get used to drinking tea with milk’

Being an international student in the UK can be intimidating: you’re either homesick, don’t know the lingo or have never been to Nando’s.

Born in New York and raised in Greece, I was definitely nervous about how I would adjust to living and studying in the UK. Little did I know, the University of Warwick is full of students from all over the world who felt just as overwhelmed when they first arrived. We asked them how they’re getting on.

Sergiy Tomchani, Third year, Accounting and Finance, from Greece and Russia

What do you like about Warwick?

I found a whole lot of other people just like myself. Warwick is incredibly international and it is very important to me to find friends and feel comfortable. The different cultures, languages, cuisines and the humour – they all add so much to everyday life here.

What do you dislike about Warwick?

The food. An abundance of places here to eat at but such a limited choice. And anything that is healthy is over priced!

Are you happy here?

Definitely happy to have spent the last couple of years here at Warwick. And being in my final year, I understand that this is the last chance to be a student without the pressure of exams coming up soon – so I’ll be sure to make the most of it!

Cheryl Sze, First year, Education Studies, from Hong Kong

What do you like about Warwick? 

I love the environment that the university is situated in. It’s very peaceful and quiet, especially around the area where my accommodation is. It’s surrounded by a lot of greenery, which I like. Oh, and the geese are really cute, too.

What do you dislike about Warwick? 

It does get a bit boring around here sometimes.

Are you happy here? 

I guess I am happy most of the time, but I do occasionally get really homesick which totally sucks. It sucks being so far away from home but my friends are always there when I need company, which is great.

Jacqueline Eckert, second year, History and Politics, from Belgium

What do you like about Warwick?

I enjoy the freedom the university gives us to explore our interests in our courses. The student support is great; the staff is incredibly helpful and supportive. In addition, the societies and sport facilities at this university are fantastic.

What do you dislike about Warwick? 

The culture in the UK is obviously a lot different compared to where I grew up. For example, people drink a lot more when going out here and from what I can tell British people are never cold. I also cannot get used to drinking tea with milk.

Are you happy here?

I am more than happy at Warwick. Some people don’t like the bubble feeling but I love it. It’s nothing like I expected it to be, it’s even better. It’s not easy moving away from home, but one quickly learns to adapt.

Michael Chandra, Second year exchange, Politics and International Studies, from Australia

What do you like about Warwick?

Being able to live in halls with my fellow Sherbabes, and the opportunity to be a part of such a diverse community. Australian universities lack any real community as most people live at home. I absolutely love having people around all the time and sharing life with them.

What do you dislike about Warwick?

As much as I would like to be critical about Warwick, and I’m sure many people could easily be, I struggle to think of anything. I suppose the only exception would be the patchy wifi, stopping me from streaming Bieber’s new album (maybe that’s a good thing).

Are you happy here? 

I’m really enjoying myself. My family is originally from the UK so I feel like it’s a second home. I’ve made a great group of friends and love how there is always an opportunity to try something new.

Ashley Mungai, First year, Law, from Kenya

What do you like about Warwick? 

I think Warwick University is beautifully landscaped. It’s able to give you that perfect sense of tranquility you sometimes need to study. It clearly deserves its name as one of the UK’s premier learning facilities with some of the brightest minds of our generation all coming together.

What do you dislike about Warwick? 

Other than the weather? I normally live on the equator where there is no such thing as winter. Warwick is also its own little bubble, which can be limiting can make you feel disconnected from the outside world; particularly if you’re trying to get a feel of true UK culture

Are you happy here?

On a happiness scale, I’d say I’m a 7 out of 10.

Ana Borrás Lloret, Third year Erasmus student, Education Studies, from Spain

What do you like about Warwick?

I like the campus in general. The campus at my university in Spain isn’t like this; here you have a building for each degree, a supermarket, a pharmacy and more!

What do you dislike about Warwick?

I don’t like how far the university is from the city. I also find the different resources my tutors use to be confusing. Moodle, Tabula, Start Warwick…it’s difficult to use all three. In Spain, we just used PowerPoint, which was much easier.

Are you happy here?

I’m really happy. I love it here!

Sandra Mey Zhi Cheok, second year, Law, from Singapore

What do you like about Warwick?

Warwick, to me, is a home away from home. The mix of green natural spaces as well as the variety of study spaces provide students with comfortable and conducive environments! Generally, people are very welcoming and open minded.

What do you dislike about Warwick? 

The architectural structure of the Physics Building… The walkway to access L3, L4 and L5 is so small and you can’t leave your lectures quickly. This is frustrating.

Are you happy here? 

Overall, I’m very happy at the university.

Anton Gamolsky, third year, Management, from Austria

What do you like about Warwick? 

Possibility to do whatever you want during terms 1 and 2, and how flexible my course is.

What do you dislike about Warwick? 

Generally seminars and lack of academic support. Hot and cold water taps that for some reason cannot be combined. Also, the line outside Smack.

Are you happy here? 

Yes.

Marina Hercka , first year, English Literature and Creative Writing, from Romania

What do you like about Warwick? 

It’s the course I love most, because in Romania there are virtually no opportunities to write creatively – in English or otherwise – so it’s good to be in an environment where that’s encouraged on a regular basis. Plus, I’m surrounded by fun students, that gives uni bonus points.

What do you dislike about Warwick? 

Honestly, the only thing I can say I dislike is how new everything is and how fast I have to understand everything that’s going on, which I don’t always – not right off the bat, anyway. Comes with time, though, I guess.

Are you happy here? 

Yeah, no question. For a kid who has strong negative feelings about her mother tongue and loves to write and has arrived at uni in England, I love it.

Kritika Agrawal, first year, Economics, from Nepal

What do you like about Warwick? 

The best part about the university is its campus, and how it’s like a town to itself. I love how much the campus has to offer, like the sports facilities in the sports center and of course the student union. I have also enjoyed living on campus, because of how calm it is.

What do you dislike about Warwick? 

It is quite challenging overall. Especially to understand the lecturers and to cope with the course, as they go through it quite quickly compared to high school back home. Also, the weather is kind of disappointing.

Are you happy here? 

Yes, I am extremely pleased with the university and my course.