New accommodation block to be built in South Leam

We takin’ over

A brand-spanking new accommodation block is to be built in South Leamington to cater for up to 187 people.

On Tuesday 5th January, the proposals were granted permission at a vote of six for opposed to three against the controversial plans.

The new student block will be built on Althorpe Street, just off Radford Road and George Street.

While there have been arguments that Althorpe Street is too small a road to cater for such a large amount of students, business owners are excited for the prospect of more trade to the local area of Old Town in Leamington.

Alan Boad, the Liberal Democrat Councillor for Leamington says that Old Town “is a grotty area” and that the accommodation would “act as a catalyst to get further development around the canal”.

Other councillors state that student accommodation is needed in the area, and they welcome the construction of new student housing to Leamington Spa.

The contractors, Alumno, will start work in May 2016 with the completion date set for September 2017 in time for the academic year.