Bus driver ‘devastated’ after fatal Sainsbury’s collision

The bus was travelling to Leamington when it crashed

The driver of a double-decker bus which crashed into a Sainsbury’s in Coventry city centre and killed two people has been left “devastated to the core”.

The collision happened on Saturday evening when the 77-year-old driver lost control of the vehicle.

An eight-year-old boy sat on the top deck and a female pedestrian in her 70s have been confirmed as the two deaths. Six others were hurt, including a nine-year-old girl who is seriously ill in hospital, with injuries to her face, head and right leg.

Witnesses described the bus as ‘out of control’

Inspector Paul Bennett said the crash was likely to involve Warwick students. He said: “Investigations are on-going but we are aware of a number of vital witnesses who we are yet to speak to.

“There were possibly hundreds of people at the crash on Saturday evening. I would urge these people to come forward as soon as possible and give statements. Also, if anyone has images or footage of the scenes, please contact us”.

A spokesperson for the driver’s family said: “Being a grandfather himself, he is devastated to the core by what has happened.

“He is a very quiet man, and a caring and devoted person. He has strong ties with the local community and has spent most of his life helping and thinking of others”.

The Sainsbury’s is now closed until Tuesday as a mark of respect to the victims, and flowers have been placed at the scene, along with a note reading “To Mum, RIP. You did not deserve to die like this.”

Maneer Fiaz, an eyewitness, heard a loud bang and then saw people running towards the scene. He said: “Everyone was just screaming and there were two kids trapped at the top of the vehicle”.

Almas Fatima was in Coventry with her two daughters and were narrowly missed by the bus as it lost control. She said: “I just remember a bus coming towards us and we survived. That’s the only thing we remember.

“We were walking on the pavement and as soon as the bus started moving it hit the other bus as well as we realised it was not stopping it was coming at full-speed towards us and I told my daughters, ‘just run'”.

The police have appealed for more witnesses to come forward.