Long distance at uni: Will you go the extra mile?

Skype sex, shots and not-so-short journeys

Among the vast majority of you who arrived at University single and ready to mingle, there were a few brave creatures who had decided to embark upon the tumultuous concept of a long distance relationship.

Freshers, although an exciting time for the most part, was often spent texting, calling or leaving the club early to contact your significant other.

Some would even go as far as avoiding wearing certain items of clothing. “You don’t look like you’ve got a boyfriend”, unfortunately, may sound familiar. And drinking far too much on a night out was a big no-no (even though you occasionally did it anyway).

Me in ‘taken times.

But knowing that your significant other was always on the other end of Skype, providing your hectic Uni schedules permitted it, made it worth your while, right?

While he or she might be the one for you, and you could wind up getting married and having lots of babies, consider the alternative before you commit. To those of you who are pre-University or mid-gap year, here’s a little advice. It might work out. That, and there are the perks of dirty snapchats.

But just bear in mind that, amid the romance of it all, late night phone sessions, the excitement of the several hours on a train or Megabus knowing that you’ll be seeing them soon, lies a serious commitment that might just mean losing out on years of freedom you’ll never get back.

So if you’re having wobbles about your childhood sweetheart, a new romance developed in Sixth Form, or even a cute guy or girl you met in Thailand on your Gap Yah, take some time to think.

If he or she is the one for you and if you have good vibes, do it. If three or four years of Skype sex, vodka and several-hour commutes is for you, embrace it. But be honest and realistic with yourself. Is it really going to work?

Prioritise your mates

If you know that some leggy brunette or ripped Rugby player might catch your eye from across the club, do yourself and your significant other a favour. Cut the chord and move on.

University offers the experience of a lifetime, and term one shouldn’t be spent crying in your room to people you met only a few weeks back.