English at Warwick ranked top in the UK

It beat Oxford and Cambridge by a mile.

Sitting on Shakespeare’s backdoor, lucky English students are learning at the best place in the country.

Warwick’s English Department has been named top for research. The department specialise in studies of Shakespeare and multiculturalism, along with a wealth of other globally-renowned areas of literature.

And it’s not only the English department who have cause for celebration. 18 other departments besides English were ranked in the top 10.

With 95 per cent of the department’s research and 87% of Warwick’s research as a university being named as “world-leading” or “internationally excellent”, it’s hardly a shock that the University was ranked 7th overall for research nationwide.

Computer Science was ranked second in the country, and Chair of the Department, Professor Stephen Jarvis was “delighted with the result”.

Closely affiliated with areas of research with Computer Science, Warwick’s Mathematics and Statistics departments were also ranked third for research, appearing annually alongside Oxford and Cambridge.

Unsurprisingly after the success of the individual departments, Warwick was also ranked 7th in the UK for its overall research, equalling UCL and continuing its rise up the rankings of the best universities in the country.

Peter Dunn, Director of Press and Policy at the University of Warwick, said: “We are delighted by Warwick’s success… and the success of its individual departments”.

He went on to commend the English department for its ranking as the best research department in their field, saying that “its research reputation parallels the University’s approach to global research relevance”.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the last few months, you’ll know that Warwick was recently named University of the Year by the Times. Now they’ve got even more to not shut up about.