‘Give us time, mum, the drinking’s only just begun’…Is this the most helpful and informative alcohol awareness video ever?

Who’s for a pint

It’s Alcohol Awareness Week so get informed about drinking facts this video says predrinks will make children sniff cans of Stella and your girlfriend dump you. 

Terrible things will happen and your mum will be really peeved if you start swigging Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey Whiskey instead of playing Xbox.

The video is part of an anti-drinking campaign run by a health and safety group in Warwickshire – and it has all the nuance of a PE teacher leading a class in sex ed.

A campaign worker for the embarrassing clip said the five-video series cost £4000.

As the brothers get ready for a big night out, their anxious mum asks: “What time are you boys going out?”

One replies: “Give us time mum, the drinking’s only just begun.”

She asks: “Are you seeing Maria tonight? I thought she was coming round.”

And he answers: “Nah, lads’ night, innit.”

A concerned health worker is also filmed explaining the concept of pre-drinking.

Tony Farquharson says: “Young people’s attitude towards drinking is spiralling out of control.

“We need to do something about it or it’s going to completely spiral out of control.

“Predrinking or preloading is a process by which people try to drink quite a lot of alcohol before they go out. They will drink a variety of alcohol to get into the mood.”

And sweaty, confused Service Manager Tony bears a remarkable resemblance to Guy Goma, who was once interviewed on BBC News by mistake.

But the highlight is when the younger brother starts sniffing a leftover can of Stella before his sour-faced mum takes it away and says: “Oi, don’t you dare touch that.”

The video was made in 2013 and Safe in Warwickshire is promoting it again this year because in the words of one campaign worker they couldn’t find the videos on YouTube.

Staff member Paul Hooper said: “It was on YouTube before but the site seems to have disappeared and we can’t find the videos anymore.

“We just want to get the message across.”

Admitting the video was cringe, he said: “It’s supposed to be taken in the spirit it was made. Sometimes you see it and think ‘oh, I could act better than that’.

“I don’t want to say it was done on the cheap but it was certainly done on the inexpensive. It was quite quickly done, just in a few days, I think.”

Paul added: “The point is that we want everyone to have a safe night out.

“One moment of madness or ill-judged behaviour could lead to a whole lifetime of problems.

“I worry about my slightly maturing son he pushes the boundaries with drinking and one night he came in with a bruise on his cheek.

“Somebody hit him with a bottle but the bottle didn’t break. He’s recovered.

“What if the bottle had broken? It could have been horrendous. It was a matter of luck.”

Each episode of the hapless film cost £800 and there are four more to be released on the Safe in Warwickshire Facebook page.