Bungling accommodation staff cause panic for anyone studying abroad

Angry petition launched after many feel ‘betrayed’

Underhand accommodation services have been branded “devious” by students stranded abroad without a places in halls to return to.

Furious students who received little information on changes to group applications have complained.

Many have been left struggling to find money for deposits.

A petition set up by Luke Vince, Jess Price and Emily Powell has been signed by over two hundred students in response to recent changes to group applications for campus accommodation.

It has been set up to force the uni to allow group applications.

Nicht gut! Students abroad feel like Warwick accommodation has let them down and provided lacklustre excuses on the matter

Fewer students studying abroad will be able to move back to halls next year with their friends after a change in the application process after a rise in the number of freshers in uni accommodation.

This may see many deterred from applying for on campus housing and struggle to find an alternative.

Warwick accommodation have been branded ‘too lazy’ to inform students.

In an initial email sent to students abroad Warwick accommodation said the main reason for the rule change “is due to the increase in the number of first year undergraduate students”.

However, contradicting themselves, a second email was later sent to students saying ‘that this decision was not taken lightly and it was not done to reduce the number of students applying for final year accommodation.’

The rather confusing correspondence led many students in limbo regarding their accommodation for when they return to England.

German Studies student and one of the creators of the petition Emily Powell, who is spending her third year in Berlin, is appalled by the poor efforts of Warwick accommodation.

Speaking to the Tab, a furious Emily said: “The fact they neglected to inform us of this change until the day the application forms came out made the majority of the students on their year abroad upset, frustrated and angry.

“Mainly we feel betrayed that the rule has been implemented in such an underhand way, and all of the half-hearted excuses we have been given make it obvious that the aim of the rule change has been to stop fourth year students wanting to apply for campus accommodation, making room for an increased number of first year students which the university have accepted.”

The petition has garnered rapid support to enable groups of students to apply.

Sign the petition here.