BREAKING: Suspended prof cleared of all charges by uni

English lecturer looking forward to return

An outspoken professor who was axed from the uni has been cleared and will start teaching again. 

Thomas Docherty was suspended in July for undermining the head of the English department.

Warwick denied the sacking was related to Docherty’s political views.

The English lecturer was banned for nine months but had his suspension lifted last month.

He told Times Higher Education: “I’m looking forward to getting back to teaching, working with students and colleagues, and writing again, as normal.”

Reports claim the investigation cleared Docherty of all charges. Warwick was criticised for the length of his suspension.

Denis Leech, president of Warwick’s University and College Union branch, said the university needed to do more to protect freedom.

He said: “The fact that a member of the academic staff can be suspended for almost nine months and subject to such a protracted disciplinary process suggests that there is a need to review the governance of the university.

“I hope the university will look again at how it can strengthen its procedures to protect and defend academic freedom, which this case exemplifies to be threatened from obtrusive managerialism.”

A Warwick spokesman said the uni would issue a full statement this week.