We’re not so good with numbers: Warwick students can’t save

We just don’t have the saving savvy at Warwick

Whether you’re a financially flawless fresher or an overdrawn and penniless returning student, you’ve probably made up a weekly budget.

Some of you may only have a vague number tallied up of how much vodka, milk and chicken will cost per week.

Bit too much on chips, not enough in the savings?

For others, you might have a spreadsheet accounting every single financial expenditure imaginable, including the cost of weekly toothpick use. It will probably be laminated. And colour coded.

But a new survey has revealed we’re not so smart with our numbers after all. Warwick students failed to make the top 25 most economical in the UK (mathematicians and economists, sort your shit out).

So, what is all of our dollar going on per week according to the NatWest Student Living Index 2014?

The average student spends £24.60 on groceries.  Looks like Tesco’s is getting flush with our reddies if the average student spends nearly £25 on fuel for their day.

You may convince yourself that all that fresh fruit and veg doesn’t come cheap, but I think we all know the real culprits here are Ben and Jerry.

This should be a luxury

Those post Neon cheesy chips at Vialli’s, chicken strippers accompanying that pint at The Dirty Duck and that BLT (because your cheese sandwich you accidentally sat on during that U1 bus ride ain’t looking so pretty anymore) from The Bread Oven all adds up. Worth every penny though because on average, we spend £11.90 on eating out.

The average Warwick student spends £9.80 on alcohol every week.

£1.50 for a pint of Purple might sound cheap, but that racks up to above the average after just seven pints.

Then there’s pre-drinks for that Friday night out at Kasbah. Those four Jaegerbombs you had before throwing some shapes on the dance floor.

It’s bloody pricey, that

And travel? The national average is a measly £6.50. We can only dream ladies and gents – at £290 for three terms for a U1 bus pass, we spend £9.67 a week.

Freshers, get your acts together or spend the rest of the year tickling your overdraft.