‘Go to whatever you want’ says Uni after timetable fiasco

Uni blames clanger on ‘staffing issues’ as queues of confused students are turned away

Bungling staff have left hundreds baffled as timetables were not released in time for the start of the year.

Warwick’s English department told students to “choose the seminar that is most convenient and we can figure it out from there”.

Other departments have had timetables from as early as June. But English students received an email from their Head of Department, David Morley, on Saturday explaining that the person responsible for timetables became unwell.

He said: “In previous years you would have received them by now.”

The gaffe has forced many to change modules at the last minute. Most were only informed three days before the start of term but the Uni says it is “nothing more than staffing issues”.

Students queuing to collect their timetables this morning were turned away

And today, the department emailed students telling them to collect paper copies. But queues have been turned away and told to check their email – leaving everyone confused and angry.

Second year student Evie McDermott called the blunder appalling.

She said: “To get to the first day of term and still be none the wiser about when your classes are is appalling. I have other commitments like sport exec and work who all need to know my availability but because of some monumental cock up both them and I are left in the dark.”

Lorayn Brown, a Student Staff Liaison Committee representative for the course, has been acting as a voice between outraged students and the department, posting frequently on last year’s Literature Freshers’ Facebook page to keep students informed on any developments.

She said: “The current system is obviously very flawed in allowing this to happen. The English department are doing everything they can and David Morley has assured me the system will be reviewed to ensure it never happens again.

“But having one person responsible for timetabling the whole department was never going to work well was it?”

Despite promises that new staff have been hired and are working around the clock to get timetables out, students were still left clueless the night before term begins.

Students received an email at 8:30 this morning, stating that timetables were completed over the weekend and will be emailed out this morning – the first day of term. But there is still confusion.

Any students with early seminars should collect timetables after their teaching hours have begun. If timetables are not emailed, students have been told to collect a hard copy from campus.

But when returning student Hayley Ainsworth tried this she was told to wait for an email.

She said: “They emailed us saying our timetables were coming out but if we didn’t get them we can come get a paper copy any time from 10. So I came in as I want to change modules.

“I fainted this morning but came in anyway to get it sorted because they said it could be. But they turned me away along with everyone else and told I have to wait for the email.”

Demelza Griffiths was also turned away.

She said: “It’s one thing that we have to put up with people generally mocking English degrees, but to be treated like this by our own department is just unacceptable. We haven’t even had an apology.”

The Facebook page, having had little activity since early last year, has come alive overnight as students share emails and ask for information received from tutors in an attempt to piece together a provisional timetable themselves.

But as tutors have not received class lists, most have simply stated the seminar dates and times and told students to turn up to the most convenient seminar until timetables are released.

One tutor said they were not even aware students didn’t yet have timetables.

The University refused to comment, saying the matter had been resolved.