Students’ Union kicks off at taxi malpractice

Nearly 60 per cent are refused lifts

Greedy cabbies are refusing students and overcharging them, leaving many to walk home in the dark – according to a new survey.

A Warwick Students’ Union survey has revealed taxi drivers are refusing short fares, overcharging, and discriminating against their customers.

Of the 492 students questioned by Warwick University, 59 per cent had been refused a lift, over half of these cases taking place in Leamington.

The SU is now teaming up with Coventry City and Warwick District councils to work on improving these taxi services.

In a statement, the student’s union said: “In Leamington, it is common that students have to walk home in the early hours of the morning because taxis refuse to take them”.

Rob Ankcorn, the sabbatical officer leading the campaign, said: “By refusing short journeys, taxis are putting young people in danger.”

We appreciate that not all taxi companies can be tarnished with the same brush.”

For many Warwick students, experiences with taxi drivers in Leamington and Coventry have been positive.

Genevieve Smith, a second year student, recounts a taxi driver dropping off her lost phone to her accommodation: “I thought I had lost it forever. I would have been in deep shit without his kindness.”

Recent graduate and Leamington club promoter Nino Giambalvo has had his fair share of taxi journeys. He says: “I always use the same cab driver that takes me everywhere so I’ve had only good experiences”.

Third year Bradley Price said: “I’ve never had any bad experiences with taxis that weren’t my own fault.”

It has been reported that sometimes intoxicated students abuse or annoy taxi drivers.