Lets Talk About Depression

The Tab’s Kat Davidson meets Warwick Student John Servante who is using his blog to speak out about the stigma around mental illness.

According to the Royal College of Psychiatrists’ Mental Health of Students in Higher Education report, as many as 29% of students may experience mental health difficulties at some point during their degree.

Having been threatened with expulsion due to his lack of attendance; author of the popular student blog ‘A Diary of A Depressed Student’, Warwick Student John Servante took to the Internet to express his frustration with the services at Warwick in their treatment of mental health issues. He has now found himself speaking as a voice for that 29%.

John Servante became frustrated with University’s lack of support and later turned to writing a blog, which has become a voice for other students suffering with depression

After arriving at university, Servante describes how what he had once optimistically blamed on hormones unravelled into a serious mental health disorder. At the start of second year, visiting the Health Centre Doctor, Servante concluded his suspicions, being diagnosed with chronic depression. He was then prescribed antidepressants, referred to IAPT and counselling services at Warwick, along with seeing a cognitive behavioural therapist in the health centre.

However, Servante writes, some of the academic departments are particularly unsympathetic towards mental illness. With this mental health issue initiated, and his departments informed, Servante still received multiple emails from the university threatening the termination of his registration due to his “unsatisfactory” attendance. On one occasion he describes how one member of staff actually stopped a lecture to complain specifically about Servante’s lack of attendance.

He stresses the university’s help can fall short of a student’s needs. He tried the email service the counselling department offers, but expresses suspicion that it may have been a different person answering the emails every time. “The counselling services at Warwick are underfunded,” explains Servante, “you get four appointments with them, and it takes four weeks before you get to see them.” Most people who have reached the stage of actively seeking help are in need of it urgently, not a month later.

Servante also believes that men with mental health issues at university are treated differently to women. There is a general reluctance between men in discussing mental health issues. In men aged 18-25, the highest cause of death is suicide. In his view, Servante believes that men are “expected to have a higher threshold”, seeing mental illness as a sign of weakness. In his view, whilst men and women both theoretically have access to a support network, in practice and from experience is it comparatively unacceptable for men to actually talk about their mental health.

Most harrowing of all, Servante describes how even some students don’t treat his disability seriously. After founding the group Openly Depressed at Warwick, during a campaign, some of his volunteers were verbally attacked by students with comments such as “this doesn’t matter” and “it’s not a real problem”. He writes in his blog that this emotionally broke him.

Servante describes one of the ways he copes with his depression is by deconstructing the way he is thinking at the time. “I sit down with my misery” he expresses. “Mental Illness is illogical,” he explains, “try to logically think about how you are feeling”. He describes, “Nothing that you believe when you’re depressed is true”. He believes that a lot of how he feels towards himself is self-perpetuated by how he thinks others feel about him. This is one of the reasons he is trying to change perceptions of depression. He also describes how music, walking and writing are also all cathartic.

By writing his blog, Servante intends to encourage others to speak out about their mental health. He has also set up Unhinged Creations, an artistic company that focuses on issues surrounding mental health. He is also currently working on a production entitled “Mood Diaries” with UnSeen Project for WSAF, which he describes as “think vagina monologues, but about mental illness”.

His blog can be read here:

http://adiaryofadepressedstudent.blogspot.co.uk/

Where do I go if I feel I may have depression?

First port of call is Student Support Services in University House, who will offer you guidance and where to go. Also visit the Health Centre for references to IAPT and further support.

Also, for support outside of university hours, call Nightline: 02476 417 668, open every night of term from 9pm-9am.

If you have any experience with mental health issues at Warwick and would like to write something on it, please get in contact with me at [email protected] or you can anonymously message The Tab.