The Tab’s Guide to Revision Tunes

As we’re currently stuck in the mundaneness of exam season, it’s difficult to keep motivated and on track with revision. That’s why the Tab has come up with the definitive list of tunes that will ease that revision stress…

Most of us listen to music when revising, it’s been proven to keep you focused on what you’re studying, but it can often be difficult to find songs that strike the right balance between being adrenaline pumping and making you wish you were on the dance floor of Smack.

Take it from someone who is known notoriously by flatmates for not being able to resist the urge to dance to ANY song, it’s pretty difficult to keep making notes on the differences between the IMF and the World Bank when you’re listening to the latest raving song by Calvin Harris.

So, take this as a definitive guide to motivational songs when doing your revision in the sleepless days ahead. Ten songs, ten of the best, to always listen to when revising for them dreaded exams. Even if you laugh at the absurdity of some of my choices, if it makes your revision a little more exciting, or fun, then my job is done.

Too much revision? Go on have a little listen… we won’t tell anyone!

You’ll find that these picks are not slow and calming (which obviously does not lower your stress levels), but fast paced songs increase adrenaline and make you focus more. It is impossible to revise to the likes of Yellow by Coldplay otherwise I’d fall asleep on my freshly (colourful) inked notes on the French Revolution.

So have a scroll through and see what suits you:

1. Dan Croll- From Nowhere

I think it’s always good to pick songs that remind you of a particular time, even though it may make you a little sad that instead of being in the library you’re not at a gig, eating a 99 ice cream on a sunny day in Brighton.

2. LMFAO ft. Lil Jon- Shots

If Lil Jon’s voice doesn’t scare you into revising I don’t know what will. #WorkHardPlayHard

3. Blink 182- What’s My Age Again?

Nothing better than reminiscing about the early 2000s when revising. Will probably make you want to attend a double-denim themed social, but this song is definitely a classic to revise to.

4. Calvin Harris- Summer

A suggestion by my friend at Kent uni, this definitely had to make the list. Think of it as motivation for post-exam partying and holidays in the sun in our four month break!

5. Coldplay- Paradise

Of course Coldplay had to be in this list. This is one of those songs that we all listen to when we’re on a train, looking out of the window, pretending we’re in a music video. (We all know we do it.) Inspiring stuff.

6. Kendrick Lamar- Money Trees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMR45VOKj58

Don’t we all wish we had a money tree in our back garden, then we wouldn’t have to suffer the growing possibility of failure?

7. Vampire Weekend- Finger Back

I’d like to see if anyone can sit still whilst listening to this song. If you can multitask – dance and revise, who needs a first?

8. John Newman – Love Me Again

Makes me remember the celebrations after A Level exams rather than focusing on the principles of constructivism as a theory of International Relations (S.O.S).

9. Bastille- Flaws

Forget your flaws. Ace that exam. You’re at Warwick for a reason.

10. The Beach Boys- Surfin’ USA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s4slliAtQU

I’m a history student, what do you expect? Also, wouldn’t it be nice to get good grades?

So there you have it. Only I could go from LMFAO to Blink 182.  A very strange mix of songs to possibly revise to. Listen to whatever makes you motivated and keeps you focused! Happy revising!

Feel free to comment on what choices you would put in your ultimate revision playlist.