Warwick Is On The Up

The new league tables for 2015 are out we all know you get secretly get competitive about them. So the Tab have deeply analysed the results to provide you with some handy ammunition against your Coventry buds….

We all question why we still care about league tables as we’re no longer applying to UCAS, but we all know we still get competitive with our friends from other unis, and check whether our subject, and the university as a whole has gone up or down.

Overall, Warwick has jumped up ONE place (don’t fall off your chair in excitement!) , comfortably sitting amongst the likes of Imperial and Durham. Replacing UCL as 7th overall, Warwick retains its position as being in the top 10 of UK universities. Here are some responses from fellow Warwick students:

Politics

Politics has gone down by TWO places this year, from fifth to seventh. Who ever said our generation finds politics boring? We’ve been surpassed by Durham, who was eighth last year, but still above the likes of York and Exeter.

First year politics student  Anisha sees the positive side to all this, she said: “Well…at least we’re still above King’s…they rejected me”. Classic.

In the grand scheme of things, Warwick still has one of the best politics departments in the UK, shown by it retaining its top 10 position.

Economics

Last year, Warwick prided itself on being FIRST for Economics, an amazing achievement above the likes of LSE, Cambridge and Oxford. To all those Economists on campus who bragged about their No.1 department, I hate to say but you’ve dropped three places and no longer have a cheesy chat up line for Warwick Freshers.

You can already feel the disappointment out there as most Freshers out there decided to pick Warwick because of its top reputation, only for it to swap places with Cambridge. Ex-Durham, turned Warwick, first year student Simon Riley was disappointed about the recent results admitting: “I only came to Warwick because Economics was top, I have already dropped out of one university and now I’m going to have to do it again”.  

Simon might be adding a third student  card to his collection very soon…

Ancient History

On the plus side, Classics/Ancient History (yes that is a subject…) has gone up on the league tables, a great achievement for such a small department. Student satisfaction results may have something to do with their crazy Cyprus tour antics (see Facebook for more details!)

Greg Edmund, the epitome of Ancient History greatness and Warwick first year student, was beaming with happiness after the results were announced claiming he was ‘overjoyed’ with department. He even let us a quick snap of him in him moment of glory.

Classic Greg…

History

The History department has retained its position as 6th in the UK for two years in a row, even DESPITE the moaning of the continuance of the Making History module for a second year.

History neither gained nor lost in rankings, but beating University College London again is surely a win. What a reliable department (with a hint of bias from a History student!)

What about Cov??

In contrast, Coventry University climbed 7 places. But still 54 places below Warwick in Mathematics. Do the maths!

It is also 60th for Economics, not even in the top 55 for Chemistry, and 62nd for Law. So don’t worry no Coventry student will be taking your internship at PWC or your training contract at Clifford Chance any time soon.

But, there is a silver lining to that cloud. 2015 brings you the position of 18th for Sports Science in the UK. It’s not all bad Coventry.

Rankings are probably the least of our worries at the moment as we reach exam season, we’ve reached where we want to be – Warwick.  We all know though that comparing universities and subjects is perfect procrastination, which probably won’t help for next year’s rankings.

Are you excited and proud about the results or couldn’t you give a monkey’s about them. Let us know down below.