Warwick Attempts To Break Selfie World Record

Wednesday 7th May 2014 marked the arrival of SanDisk at The University of Warwick to help with the attempt to create a Guinness World Record for the ‘most selfies taken simulteneously’.

The attempt took place over five European countries including the UK, France, Germany, Spain and Italy and every venue aimed to have at least 200 (mainly student) participants.

The selfie has almost become second nature in this day and age when picking up a smartphone and has been added as an actual word to our beloved Oxford English Dictionary, so such a World Record attempt seemed to attract many hopeful individuals to show off their pout.

The guy with the glasses was really going for it….that’s how a selfie is done!

By 9am, the Piazza was being set up for this World Record attempt, and it was inspiring to see how many turned up for the ‘selfie-take’ after noon, taking a different kind of break from revision! Each participant collected their number and headed on to take a selfie on their smartphone, which could include nobody else, and should show your full face, neck and your arms. You had to take the selfie at 12.30pm exactly and then upload and email it for it to be registered.

The rules were simple and many turned up on the day to be part of the event

As confusing as these basic instructions appeared to be at first for some, we managed to do it! With an array of selfies, we were more than eager to find out the results.

Caroline Chauvire, PR Manager for Europe SanDisk, was present at the event, hidden inside Curiositea, monitoring the crowd and overlooking our attempt compared to that of other locations via Skype. She felt that Warwick did really well seemed to have “most people in Europe and the biggest crowd”, having observed the other countries on her screen.

She also highlighted the reason they chose to be a part of this attempt and give one of the new microSDHC memory cards to each participant. “SanDisk have just launched a new micro card which is the world’s biggest right now”, and she described how as the selfie has become a global phenomenon, it made sense for SanDisk to be a part of the record attempt. A modern person takes selfies, so a modern person obviously needs more storage space right?

Unfortunately upon asking about her hopefulness of Warwick breaking the World Record for 2014, Chauvire admitted, “I am feeling a bit pessimistic today about the evidence being collected of this large crowd.”

But at the end of the day, I got a free T-shirt…

Unfortunately Warwick failed to break the record. The actual results and ranking of the attempt have not been finalised but we will be the first to let you all know!

Were any of you guys at the selfie orgy? Let us know down below. #SanDiskSuperSelfie.