The Tab Goes Bananas for WUDS’ The Hairy Ape

We went to see WUDS’ latest outstanding production ‘The Hairy Ape’. We promise you they are definitely not mokeying around…

Described as a ‘Comedy of Ancient and Modern Life in Eight Scenes’, Warwick University Drama Society (WUDS) opened their latest show last night – Eugene O’Neill’s The Hairy Ape. Through highly sophisticated physical theatre, it tells the story of the struggles of a worker – Yank (Stuart Nunn) -to find his voice and his liberty beyond a life as a cog in the capitalist machine. Yank works as a fireman, shovelling coal into an Ocean Liner. One day the wealthy, ethereal Mildred (Lucy Ogilvie) declares herself ‘bored of her anaemia’, and goes to see ‘how the other half live.’ She’s horrified by the filth and the stench – and by Yank himself, who she declares a ‘Hairy Ape’.

What a lovely looking man….

What follows is an outstanding piece of drama, deriving inspiration from impressionist German cinema of the 1920s, which kept the audience captivated and laughing throughout. It makes for quite uncomfortable viewing at times with its stark social commentary. It highlights the complicity of even the most well intentioned anti-capitalists in upholding ‘the system’ by way of prioritising middle class voices over those of the actual workers.

The cast innovatively bring together a visually stunning blend of satire and tragedy, and their magnetic performances are infectious. The immersive use of the stage, along with trippy props and eccentric costume, creates a piece of enigmatic art.

The acting ensemble is sophisticated and talented, and every individual is a joy to watch. The relationship between the aunt (Phoebe McIndoe) and Mildred (Lucy Ogilvie) is a wonderfully quirky interpretation of character and thoroughly entertaining. Stuart Nunn’s convincing portrayal of Yank is jarring and believable; his mannerisms embody the role, reciprocating the raw talent of a cast that director Maddy Murray beautifully ties together.

warwickape The talented cast were directed by second year student Maddy Murray

The Hairy Ape is showing at the Arts Centre Studio Theatre until May 10 – you can expect truly superb performances from the ensemble cast and exciting, original direction. It’s not to be missed, and you can buy your tickets here: http://www.warwickartscentre.co.uk/whats-on/2014/wuds-the-hairy-ape/

Production photographs by Paulina Drėgvaitė.

If you’ve already seen The Hairy Ape alread and want to share your thoughts let us know down below!