Not so cool: RaW’s “Cool Boys” ousted after making a series of sexist jokes on air

Remarks on RaW show “Cool Boys” during International Women’s Week has caused a sexist stir.

| UPDATED exclusive

Three presenters have been forced to resign from RaW after making a series of sexist gags which outraged women across Warwick University.

The “Cool Boys” show, ironically broadcast during International Women’s Week, saw a presenter and guest unleash a series of sexist one-liners live on air.

Recalling a party with their friends where they made a sexist joke, the one brazen presenter said: “I’ll tell you a joke. Women’s rights. Which you kept saying, but obviously we were joking.”

He added: “No, we love girls, we love our shawties. We love animals as well. We love dogs. Just thought I should mention them as they go hand in hand.”

Where the action happened

These remarks caused offence with several listeners, including the SU Women’s Officer who posted it on Facebook alongside other badly timed comments made during International Women’s Week. The status caused uproar and resulted in the Cool Boys show being cancelled by RaW.

The three students involved in Cool Boys have since apologised, telling The Tab: “We apologise unreservedly for any offence made.

“The comments were very much a one off, thoughtless mistake, and not within the normal nature of the show.

“The premise of the ‘Cool Boys’ radio show is deeply ironic throughout, and in this instance the comments were intended to mock those who hold sexist views. We completely understand this was inappropriate however our intentions were not malicious or intended to offend.

“We are distressed that our tactless, ironic comments have resulted in us being misrepresented as sexists when this couldn’t be further from the truth. We appreciate the insensitivity of what was said, especially during International Women’s Week, and are deeply sorry.”

The former Station Manager of RaW, Amy Johnson, added: “RaW have sorted this with the show in question who are incredibly apologetic and saddened with themselves about any offence or harm caused. Again, apologies from us.”

Scott Henderson, the current Station Manager said: “RaW received two complaints about the Cool Boy Radio Show regarding the use of sexist language. After listening back to the incident, the executive committee decided to remove the show from air for the rest of the term as the comments said are in violation of RaW’s guidelines and potentially the Ofcom broadcasting code.

We notified both the complainants and the presenters about our decision. The presenters in question were incredibly apologetic and their comments were forwarded to the complainants. From our standpoint the issue has been resolved.”