Rugby Varsity: The Finale

Brace yourselves, Rugby Varsity is here…

Perhaps Shakespeare was thinking of UWRFC when he wrote the immortal words: “We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he to-day that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother;”

Whether they couldn’t handle the heat or just couldn’t string a coherent sentence together, last year’s Coventry fans were found wanting after an excellent display from the men’s Rugby Union squad; this year’s Varsity finale on Sunday 2nd March promises much the same.

Another year has passed and once again Coventry can be thankful that the return journey from Coventry’s Butts Arena lasts longer than the average rugby boy in bed; there will only be one outcome.

Simon Cox spoke to us in a recent interview about our last few matches with the local Poly: “Considering our 3rd XV lost in the last minute by 1 point, we’ve got a pretty good feeling about the game on Sunday.”

James Gwatkin, future chairman of Warwick’s infamous sport club backed this up, adding that he will personally buy each supporter a pastie from Greggs for every point Coventry put past our boys in blue.

Interviews with the team gave this reporter little to work with: my questions were met by ferocious stares as words were few and far between; focus is already paramount.

More emphasis than ever has been put on your support this year and as ever Warwick sport have done their best to make your evening a carefree event.

Love it or hate it, the evening provides an electric atmosphere and a chance to see the Coventry students from the other side of the cage where they belong.

Tickets can no longer be purchased online, but may be bought or collected on the Piazza or at Butts Park Arena from the boys today. Just don’t expect to hold much of a conversation, unless it’s about smashing the Poly.