Bleeding Love It: Sweeney Todd Is No Close Shave

Musical Theatre Warwick’s production of Sweeney Todd is not to be missed.

I’m sitting in the seats waiting for Sweeney Todd to begin, with reservations. I’ve paid £8 to see this production, and I’ve dragged my boyfriend to see the production with me. He seems about as enthusiastic as a U1 bus driver on the midnight POP shift.

But I already feel reassured by the audience, mostly students, who all seem to be immensely proud to know anyone performing. The lights go down and the ensemble illuminates the stage with candles, setting the scene for what will prove to be a thoroughly enjoyable production. Sweeney Todd was a combination of horror, humour and vocal harmonies that Musical Theatre Warwick can be proud of.

Stuart Nunn portrays Sweeney Todd with a compelling intensity. He manages to make his audience sympathise with him, despite the fact he is slitting the throats of his clients in his desire to get back his daughter, played by the talented Polly Hayes.

Bethany Adams is the powerhouse in the production, as Sweeney Todd’s accomplice, Mrs Lovett. She embodies the role with quirky charisma and comic timing that will have you on her side despite the fact she is baking Sweeney’s victims into pies. I must also mention Matt Bond as The Beadle, who had me laughing from the moment he set foot on the stage.  Similarly, kudos to Mark Fromings, who pulls off a truly flawless Italian accent as the barber Pirelli. It is a comedy performance not to be missed.

Photograph by Francisco Belard

Director Rupert Hands sticks true to the story of Sweeney Todd, creating an almost minimalist tone to the show, avoiding overly elaborate set pieces by using boxes as props, and keeping focus on the fantastic barber chair trap door, from which the bodies of his victims slide through and into Mrs Lovett’s bake house.

I am so impressed with this production. Grab a ticket while you still can, you won’t regret it.