No More Page 3 Jazzes Things Up

Warwick’s No More Page 3 campaign adds a little pizazz as the ladies churn out a musical number to entice online voters for their motion to stop stocking The Sun on campus.

While people may see feminists, and with it the No More Page 3 campaign, as joyless, uptight and with a major sense of humour bypass, Warwick’s part of the campaign has tried to show that this is far from the case, with a new video and song to convince people to vote for No More Page 3, and for the SU to lobby the University to stop stocking The Sun in campus’ Costcutter until Page 3 is discontinued.

The look says it all…

The song, a parody of The Beatles’ classic ‘Here Comes The Sun’ (now aptly titled ‘Who Shuns The Sun?’) features lyrics such as “boobs aren’t news”, “Warwick puts women in their place, for fifty years they’ve made that clear”, and a particularly aggressive chorus to Head of Communications Peter Dunn: “DUNN, DUNN, DUNN, HERE WE COME!”

Whilst maybe not in perfect key or time with George Harrison and Paul McCartney’s dulcet tones, the team behind the video are still hoping that a catchy song will do the trick in recruiting voters.

She’s talking about the disregard for No More Page 3, NOT the singing

Louisa Ackermann, the SU Women’s Officer and all-singing, all-dancing star of the video told The Tab: “People still seem to have this view of feminists as a brigade of angry, humourless, harpies – something about asking for equality just seems to ruin some people’s fun. We made this video in part to challenge that idea. That said, we do know our singing and dancing is crap. We apologise for that.”

Getting jiggy with it

Josie Throup, mastermind behind the new and maybe-improved lyrics, added: “The aim of the song is to draw attention to the campaign and encourage people to vote for the No More Page 3 motion.

We brought the motion to the all students’ meeting due to Peter Dunn disregarding our campaign as something that only a minority care about. He basically dismissed us as a radical fringe group of angry women.

If the motion passes, it’ll show him that this is something that a variety of Warwick students care about. Hopefully he won’t be able to ignore it.

The response to the song has been great, and we were lucky to be retweeted by the National No More Page 3 campaign. On a personal level, I loved the excuse to write a funny little song about something I care about. I think humour is a really powerful tool and that as a campaigner it’s great if you can laugh at yourself a bit.

I’m still holding out for a retweet from Peter Dunn!”

Watch the video below to hear the song that may or may not give The Beatles a run for their money. Will people be shunning Page 3 after hearing it? Or will it be ‘Here Stays The Sun?’

To cast your vote on the motion of No More Page 3 on Campus, click here http://www.warwicksu.com/democracy/asm/#vote