Warwick Phd student killed by lethal dose of Potassium Cyanide

Lethal chemical found alongside body of Warwick PhD student at Ibis Hotel in Chelylesmore, Coventry

A huge police operation has been launched after a container labelled potassium cyanide was found next to the body of a dead student.

Police at Ibis Hotel, Coventry where the body was found

Officers, paramedics and hazardous substances expert were called to the Ibis Hotel on January 9 to reports that a man had died.

At the time the police were unable to reveal what prompted such a huge response to the death. Coventry Coroner Seam McGovern said that potassium cyanide was involved.

The lethal chemical – used in jewellery manufacturing and gold mining – has been used by a number of prominent individuals to commit suicide.

The dead man has been identified by Mr McGoven as 28-year-old Kalveer Singh Chall a PhD student at Warwick University.

Mr McGovern said : “Mr Chall was found dead in room 15 of the Ibis Hotel in Mile Lane on January 9.

“In his room was found a container labelled potassium cyanide. As a result of that a post mortem examination took place.

“At the moment the cause of death is unascertained pending further testing of Mr Chall’s blood and his gastric contents. I offer my condolences to Mr Kalveer Singh Chall’s family and friends,”

The hotel was evacuated and closed after Mr Chall’s body was discovered and guests were moved to a nearby hotel. The hotel was shut while the investigation took place but was re-opened the next day.

The police were quick to evacuate the hotel for the safety of the other guests

A spokesman form the West Midlands Police said: “The room has been secured and the hotel has been evacuated as a precaution as specialist colleagues from partner emergency services are at the scene to ensure the safety of others.

“The death is being treated as unexplained at this time but early indications are that the death is not suspicious.”