Foreign student hit by lorry dies

20-year-old, believed to be a Warwick University student, is killed after being hit by a lorry

Update: The student has been named as Maggie Cheung, a 23 year old international student from Hong Kong studying for a masters degree in economics. 

An international student who was struck by a lorry yesterday lunchtime has died.

Paramedics were called out to Lynchgate Road, Cannon Park, at 12:45pm to reports that the pedestrian in her early 20’s had been knocked down.

The student is believed to be from China and studying at Warwick. Her details have not been released until her family are informed.

A woman in her early 20s was struck by a truck in Lynchgate Road.

The alleged student was struck when crossing the road to Tesco by a small lorry – according to the Coventry Telegraph. She suffered serious head injuries and died in hospital a few hours later.

Sgt Neil Higgins said: “The collision happened during the university’s lunch hour and close to a local shopping centre and we are sure that there are people who may have witnessed the collision.

“We believe that the woman is a foreign student and we are working alongside the university and the Chinese Embassy to locate and inform her family.”

The West Midlands ambulance service released a statement saying she suffered serious head injuries. People at the scene believed the victim was a student.

The road was closed while the emergency services investigated the collision and treated the injured woman.

The victim was believed to be a Warwick University student.

A spokesman for Warwick University said: “Obviously our thoughts are with the student’s family and friends at this time.

“We have organised special counselling sessions for anybody affected by what has happened.”

Witnesses or anyone with information is urged to call Police on 101.