Students Cost Warwick £50,000

Drunk and disorderly students have forced Warwick University to pay £50,000 to control them after nights out in Leamington Spa.

The university is the first in the country to take such measures after numerous complaints made by local residents over the amount of noise created by drunken students returning home after a night out.

The marshals will be posted to areas most frequented by students from 11pm to 4am on popular club nights, to encourage them to respect others when returning home and offer pastoral care.

Street Marshals are costing up to £50,000.

The scheme is part of a joint operation between the university, its student union, Warwickshire Council and Warwickshire Police and is the first of its kind in the country.

Michael Corker, responsible for policy on health and community protection, said that the scheme is “an important part of our early intervention approach in making Royal Leamington Spa a safer place”.

Ben Sundell, the university’s SU president, supports the scheme: “The feedback we have received from students has only been positive. The Marshals have been a friendly and reassuring presence, who have been on hand to help students get home safely, pass on welfare advice and provide a calmer environment on nights out.”

A second year student, who wished to stay anonymous,  is all in favour of the scheme: “I think it is a great idea! I can be a pain in the ass after a few drinks but if a marshal is on hand to shut me up and move me on, I think it will make a big difference to the amount of noise I make.”

Ellie Meggitt, a second year business student, is doubtful of the marshal’s effectiveness; “The marshals will not fix the problem, students will just ignore them as they don’t really have any influence or authority.”

Gaby Brogan, a second year Psychologist, has had a first-hand experience with the marshals. “I was kicked out of Smack for being too drunk and I got pretty angry. I got pretty lippy with the bouncers but a marshal calmed me down and sent me to Altoria. The marshal was really friendly and supportive and definitely saved me a lot of trouble with the bouncers!”

So will the marshals make any difference? Or will students be as rowdy as ever after a few vodbulls too many?